On 1/12/17 15:08, Larry Garfield wrote:
Late in the week, I know, but this is when I had time. :-(

Two:

I understand the reasons why the delegate lookup was removed outright,
and I do not dispute them.  However, the net result is that we have an
interface that is almost trivial, on a topic that is of questionable
appropriateness in the first place.  (I still question the validity of a
container interface at all.)  That is, with that removed, what's left to
standardize?  get() and has() are barely an specification.

I think we, as a group, underestimate the consequences of Larry's concern number 2 (above).

Of course, having a specification with just a get() and a has() methods makes it really easy to implement; and in fact, doing so in Symfony is trivial (see https://github.com/symfony/symfony/pull/21265).

But is it really enough for interoperability? I doubt it. I won't even talk about configuration as it has been debated in the past. Containers have more features and they are using it. So, internally, each container is going to still use their interfaces and not the simple PSR one. So, no interoperability here. There is also the discoverability issue (no set, so what about id discoverability), but this has already been discussed as well. The delegate lookup feature would have been a good selling point for this PSR (even if personally I disagree with it usefulness), but it's out now.

I do understand that the group spent a lot of time trying to figure out something that works for most projects, and I really appreciate their work, but **can we admit that the result is deceptive and not useful enough to standardize?**

just my 2cts of course,
Fabien

--Larry Garfield