On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 19:01:34 UTC+2, Woody Gilk wrote:

> > This would require >= PHP 7
>
> That's a non-starter. There are plenty of people stuck on PHP 5.x for
> various reasons and I don't want to shut them out.

PHP 7+ was more than 53%
<https://seld.be/notes/php-versions-stats-2017-1-edition> of composer usage
last May, and PHP 5.6 only at 31%. This PSR is yet to be released and by
the time it is those numbers will be even more in favor of PHP 7. Nowadays
I would rather see PSR pushing innovation on new tech (including language
syntaxes), rather than being stuck in the past and spending more time to
deal with compatibility than what it is worth.

Also this specific PSR is all about new way to do things. I don't think
future adopter would be the guys who are stuck with PHP 5, but rather the
one who are already on PHP 7.1 today.

As I am sure you are aware, major projects are moving to PHP 7 only. Doctrine
will require 7.2 <https://github.com/doctrine/doctrine2/issues/6529>, ZF3
requires 7.1 <https://framework.zend.com/blog/2017-06-06-zf-php-7-1.html>,
Symfony
4 will require 7.1