On 08/03/2017 07:17 AM, Adrien Crivelli wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 19:01:34 UTC+2, Woody Gilk wrote:
>
>     > This would require >= PHP 7
>
>     That's a non-starter. There are plenty of people stuck on PHP 5.x
>     for various reasons and I don't want to shut them out.
>

> PHP 7+ was more than 53%
> <https://seld.be/notes/php-versions-stats-2017-1-edition> of composer
> usage last May, and PHP 5.6 only at 31%. This PSR is yet to be
> released and by the time it is those numbers will be even more in
> favor of PHP 7. Nowadays I would rather see PSR pushing innovation on
> new tech (including language syntaxes), rather than being stuck in the
> past and spending more time to deal with compatibility than what it is
> worth.
>
> Also this specific PSR is all about new way to do things. I don't
> think future adopter would be the guys who are stuck with PHP 5, but
> rather the one who are already on PHP 7.1 today.
>
> As I am sure you are aware, major projects are moving to PHP 7 only.
> Doctrine will require 7.2
> <https://github.com/doctrine/doctrine2/issues/6529>, ZF3 requires 7.1
> <https://framework.zend.com/blog/2017-06-06-zf-php-7-1.html>, Symfony
> 4 will require 7.1
> <https://twitter.com/fabpot/status/851558576770252800?lang=en>, TYPO3
> 8 requires 7.0 <https://typo3.org/download/>, to name only a few.

I have to agree here.  The market is moving much faster than it used to,
and the likely adopters of a new PSR that will necessitate changing
their existing code base are those that are also most likely to be
running on newer versions.

If someone has a legacy app sitting on a PHP 5.x server and isn't
interested in updating it for PHP 7, I have a hard time believing they'd
be eager to update it for PSR-15.  Upgrading to PHP 7 would be *less*
effort and *more* value.

We tried to be backward-looking for PSR-6 on the PHP version, and in
hindsight I think that was a mistake.

Let's go ahead and target PHP 7.0 for PSR-15 outright.

--Larry Garfield