I prefer the first. I also prefer two spaces over four. When I am working
in a term window, space is an issue. Extra newlines means I can see fewer
lines at a time and extra 4 space tabs quickly forces the end of a line
horizontally out of my view.

I know most people like the second (and 4 spaces for tabs) but honestly -
when working on a project with others, use what the project specifies but
for your own, do what works best for you. For me - that's not a lot of
newlines and two spaces for the tab.