Hello Buster, and welcome!
Don't worry,  this is the correct avenue to push this kind of request.
Alexander was just pointing out that not being a project member is not an
hindrance to working group participation. If you know someone in the CC or
other project members that is willing to sponsor you, that good, otherwise
we secretaries can call a vote on that.