php-general Digest 26 Aug 2005 07:27:36 -0000 Issue 3646

Re: make it remember
        221375 by: George B
        221384 by: Robert Cummings
        221386 by: George B

invert
        221376 by: George B
        221377 by: Jordan Miller
        221378 by: Jay Blanchard
        221379 by: George B
        221380 by: £ukasz 'nostra' Wojciechowski
        221381 by: George B
        221382 by: Jordan Miller

Re: Problem with handling quotes after server upgrade
        221383 by: Vinayakam Murugan

Newbie: Safe function call to a .inc file outside the web folder
        221385 by: Graham Anderson
        221387 by: Chris Shiflett
        221388 by: Graham Anderson
        221389 by: Chris Shiflett

Computer name?
        221390 by: Gustav Wiberg
        221392 by: Chris Shiflett
        221408 by: Adrian Cid Almaguer

Re: Easier way to clean GET Variables ?
        221391 by: Chris Shiflett
        221393 by: Jasper Bryant-Greene

PHP CMS
        221394 by: Joseph Oaks

short type codes for use in array conversion
        221395 by: Ken Tozier
        221397 by: Jasper Bryant-Greene
        221402 by: Ken Tozier

PHP Security
        221396 by: Ian C. McGarvey
        221398 by: Santosh Jambhlikar
        221399 by: Jasper Bryant-Greene
        221400 by: Chris Shiflett
        221401 by: Santosh Jambhlikar
        221403 by: Chris Shiflett
        221404 by: Jasper Bryant-Greene

php ldap
        221405 by: Santosh Jambhlikar
        221406 by: Jeff Loiselle
        221407 by: Santosh Jambhlikar

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-general@lists.php.net

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 00:19, George B wrote:

Robert Cummings wrote:

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 00:10, George B wrote:

Ok, I am doing a sort of a project right now... It is like a php chat room that records every message into a database. Now, on the first post I want it to like set the name, so on first post it would say Name: and you set your name, then on every other message you post it just says Posted by and remembers your name from the last entry. Is this anyhow possible?

Check session... if no name, display name prompt, otherwise don't
display name prompt.

Cheers,
Rob.

which would I choose.
http://us2.php.net/manual-lookup.php?pattern=sessions

In brief:

if( isset( $_POST['userName'] ) && !empty( trim( $_POST['userName'] ) )
)
{
    //
    // Save userName to session.
    //
    $_SESSION['userName'] = trim( $_POST['userName'] );
}

if( isset( $_POST['message'] ) && !empty( trim( $_POST['message'] ) )
    &&
    isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
{
    //
    // Handle submission of message.
    //
}

if( !isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
{
    //
    // Display user name prompt.
    //
}

If I do that then i get this error

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in myfilename line 2

What does that mean. And one more thing, on the code where it says
if( !isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
Does that mean that in this code

<form name="form1" method="" action="">
the method is session?

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 15:18, George B wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:

> >>which would I choose.
> >>http://us2.php.net/manual-lookup.php?pattern=sessions
> >

> > In brief:
> >
> > if( isset( $_POST['userName'] ) && !empty( trim( $_POST['userName'] ) )
> > )
> > {
> >     //
> >     // Save userName to session.
> >     //
> >     $_SESSION['userName'] = trim( $_POST['userName'] );
> > }
> >
> > if( isset( $_POST['message'] ) && !empty( trim( $_POST['message'] ) )
> >     &&
> >     isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
> > {
> >     //
> >     // Handle submission of message.
> >     //
> > }
> >
> > if( !isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
> > {
> >     //
> >     // Display user name prompt.
> >     //
> > }
> >

> If I do that then i get this error
>
> Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in
> myfilename line 2
>
> What does that mean.

I don't know. I don't think it comes form the snippet I sent you...
which wasn't meant to be a functional snippet, more of a overview of the
process.

>  And one more thing, on the code where it says
> if( !isset( $_SESSION['userName'] ) )
> Does that mean that in this code
>
> <form name="form1" method="" action="">
> the method is session?

No, it would be "post".

It sounds like you don't have a clue what you're doing. You might want
to read up on forms and sessions using PHP.

Cheers,
Rob.

Robert Cummings wrote:

[...]

nope never worked with sessions before.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering... When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- if you are using mysql, just put the "DESC" (descending) directive at the end of your sql statement (default is no "DESC" directive, meaning ascending). most recent records will be returned first.

Jordan

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:21 PM, George B wrote:

I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering... When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?

[snip]
I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering...
When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the
auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first
shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is
possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?
[/snip]

It is true and I would use some code.

C'mon George, send us some of your code so the we can may an educated
guess about what to do.

Jordan Miller wrote:
if you are using mysql, just put the "DESC" (descending) directive at the end of your sql statement (default is no "DESC" directive, meaning ascending). most recent records will be returned first.

Jordan

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:21 PM, George B wrote:

I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering... When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?

Where do I find DESC? I am looking at the php my admin and I see Field Type Length/Values Attributes Null Default** Extra No place to add DESC
W odpowiedzi na maila (21:21 - 25 sierpnia 2005):

> I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering...
> When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the
> auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first
> shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is
> possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?

mysql_query('SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY increment_field DESC');

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/order-by-optimization.html

or

get all output from DB into array and use array_reverse();

http://us2.php.net/manual/pl/function.array-reverse.php

--
pozdrawiam
Łukasz "nostra" Wojciechowski

Startuj z INTERIA.PL! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f186c

Łukasz 'nostra' Wojciechowski wrote:
W odpowiedzi na maila (21:21 - 25 sierpnia 2005):

I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering...
When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first
shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is
possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?

mysql_query('SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY increment_field DESC');

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/order-by-optimization.html

or

get all output from DB into array and use array_reverse();

http://us2.php.net/manual/pl/function.array-reverse.php

If I do that... then i get this error
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in myfile name on line 30

and on line 30 it says

while ($line = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

I dont understand what is problem here...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- you need to provide more information. we cannot tell what you are doing. you should:
**PASTE THE RELEVANT SECTION OF YOUR CODE IN YOUR EMAIL**

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:38 PM, George B wrote:

Łukasz 'nostra' Wojciechowski wrote:

W odpowiedzi na maila (21:21 - 25 sierpnia 2005):

I have written a shoutbox, and it works great, but I am wondering...
When a user posts a shout it goes below the first shout. Like the auto_increment puts the ID up higher. I need it to go about the first shout, so like the auto_increment would invert. Someone told me this is
possible through PHP. Is that true? and if so how do you do it?

mysql_query('SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY increment_field DESC');
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/order-by-optimization.html
or
get all output from DB into array and use array_reverse();
http://us2.php.net/manual/pl/function.array-reverse.php

If I do that... then i get this error
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in myfile name on line 30

and on line 30 it says

while ($line = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

I dont understand what is problem here...

> http://www.php.net/magic_quotes
>
> Check the php.ini for the settings on magic_quotes

Thanks, Jay. That was a lifesaver.

--
Warm Regards
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am relatively new to security....
Is the below reasonable safe ?

I have all of my main functions outside the web folder
I am including this function with every php script that accesses fonovisa.inc

function getBrain()
{
$temp = explode('.', $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']); // returns 'www.myserver.com'
        $size = count($temp);
        $server = $temp[$size -2]; // returns 'myserver'
        $brainPath = "/home/".$server."/includes/fonovisa.inc";

        require_once($brainPath);
}

is this ok ?
Any help is appreciated :)

Graham Anderson wrote:
Is the below reasonable safe ?

I have all of my main functions outside the web folder
I am including this function with every php script that
accesses fonovisa.inc

function getBrain()
{
    $temp = explode('.', $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);

Because $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] can be manipulated by the user in some cases, you must consider $temp tainted at this point.

    $size = count($temp);
    $server = $temp[$size -2];

Now $server is tainted.

    $brainPath = "/home/".$server."/includes/fonovisa.inc";

Therefore, this is a security vulnerability.

Hope that helps.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Is their some other reasonably safe way to call to the script outside the web folder ?
Or, is there some other secure method to get the server name?

As an alternative:
I tried using a relative path: FROM the php script location TO the fono.inc script location outside the web folder
$mypath = realpath ("../../../../../includes/fono.inc");
require_once($mypath);

although using this path worked within my ftp program...it did not work in the php script :(

I get the error:
Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/www/siren/siren/fonovisa/Library/php/genericTestv4.php on line 6

many thanks, Chris :)

Graham Anderson wrote:
Is their some other reasonably safe way to call to the script outside
the web folder?

Assuming you don't have too many hosts, a better way to write this:

$brainPath = "/home/".$server."/includes/fonovisa.inc";

is to use a switch statement to make sure $server is valid:

switch($server)
{
    case 'yourserver':
    case 'another':
    case 'yetanother':
        $brain_path = "/home/$server/includes/fonovisa.inc";
        break;
}

Something like that. :-)

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy
http://brainbulb.com/

Is it possible to retrieve (view) the computers name from the client in PHP?

/G
@varupiraten.se

Gustav Wiberg wrote:
Is it possible to retrieve (view) the computers name from the client in
PHP?

If you mean the client, then no - this is not a standard part of an HTTP request.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy
http://brainbulb.com/

You can find the IP and find with it the name.

On 25/08/05, Chris Shiflett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gustav Wiberg wrote:
> > Is it possible to retrieve (view) the computers name from the client in
> > PHP?
>
> If you mean the client, then no - this is not a standard part of an HTTP
> request.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Shiflett
> Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy
> http://brainbulb.com/

       Si se encuentra bien, no se preocupe. Se le pasará.

Graham Anderson wrote:
Is there a way to loop thru all of these GET requests by:
putting the GET variables into an array
processing the variable strings with trim/striptags/etc in a loop
exploding the variables back out into separate variables

otherwise this gets a bit tedious

Proper filtering is necessarily tedious. There is no way to filter a last name, a server name, a file name, an IP address, a ZIP code, and a comment with the same function. Those who try wind up creating a "lowest common denominator" filtering function, or they confuse filtering with escaping (as demonstrated by some of the replies).

As a good friend of mine likes to say, you have to get your hands dirty.

Hope that helps.

Chris

--

Chris Shiflett wrote:
Graham Anderson wrote:

Is there a way to loop thru all of these GET requests by:
putting the GET variables into an array
processing the variable strings with trim/striptags/etc in a loop
exploding the variables back out into separate variables

otherwise this gets a bit tedious

Proper filtering is necessarily tedious. There is no way to filter a last name, a server name, a file name, an IP address, a ZIP code, and a comment with the same function. Those who try wind up creating a "lowest common denominator" filtering function, or they confuse filtering with escaping (as demonstrated by some of the replies).

As a good friend of mine likes to say, you have to get your hands dirty.

Chris,

While I'm not disagreeing with your statements, the OP didn't ask specifically for filtering IIRC. His example usage of strip_tags() etc made me think that he just wanted to remove any security issues, which is why I (and several others) gave him the escaping functions.

While it's a bit annoying to find someone's put their email address in their postal address field, it's not a security issue in most contexts. That's not to say that proper filtering for such problems isn't very useful though.

Jasper

Guys I'm doing some research trying to find a good PHP based CMS. As
there a quite a few, I would really like to get your opinions so I can
narrow the search down.

We were using Webedit Pro, but have found it a pain not to be able to
use Firefox with it.

Thanks for your input.

Trell

--
"Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when you
open Windows"

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I found a method for converting javascript arrays to PHP arrays here: "http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/PHP/Recipe/414334"; and would like to expand the list of types the function knows about. It looks like 's' = string, 'a' = array but 'i' for integer and 'n' for number don't work. Is there a list of type codes somewhere on the php site? I did a search but apparently didn't hit upon the correct phrase as all searches came up with zero results.

Thanks for any help

Ken

Ken Tozier wrote:
I found a method for converting javascript arrays to PHP arrays here: "http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/PHP/Recipe/414334"; and would like to expand the list of types the function knows about. It looks like 's' = string, 'a' = array but 'i' for integer and 'n' for number don't work. Is there a list of type codes somewhere on the php site? I did a search but apparently didn't hit upon the correct phrase as all searches came up with zero results.

The JS code is creating a string in the same way that serialize() does, so that it can be passed through unserialize() to get the actual array.

There isn't really a description (that I could find, anyway) in the PHP manual of how serialize() actually stores its values. Take a look at "PHP's Serialization Format", about 1/3 of the way down on this page:

http://hurring.com/code/perl/serialize/

Jasper

Thanks for the link Jasper. That solved it.

Ken

On Aug 26, 2005, at 1:22 AM, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

Ken Tozier wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- I have been studying PHP all summer because I wanted to put some PHP code on my schools web site. I got to school and went to the web design teacher. I asked him if they had installed PHP on their server. He said that the district thinks that it would be a HUGE security risk and that people at my school would try to hack into the server (what bull). Anyway, can you give me some tips to make the server secure? Any help would be appreciated!
also

PHP HIT BY ANOTHER CRITICAL FLAW

A new security flaw in the PHP Web service protocol used by a large number of Web applications could allow attackers to take control of vulnerable servers.
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,104124,00.html

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:
also

PHP HIT BY ANOTHER CRITICAL FLAW

A new security flaw in the PHP Web service protocol used by a large number of Web applications could allow attackers to take control of vulnerable servers. http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,104124,00.html

You are spreading FUD about PHP. Stop it. If you actually *read* the article carefully you will find that not only is this not a PHP bug, but a bug with two XMLRPC libraries written *for* PHP. Not PHP itself. This is completely irrelevant to the original topic, as I didn't see the OP asking for XMLRPC security advice.

While you're at it, why not publish an article "PHP HIT BY ANOTHER CRITICAL FLAW" with the text "A new security flaw in my website, which is developed using PHP, surfaced today..."

Jasper

Ian C. McGarvey wrote:
> I have been studying PHP all summer because I wanted to put some
> PHP code on my schools web site. I got to school and went to the
> web design teacher. I asked him if they had installed PHP on their
> server. He said that the district thinks that it would be a HUGE
> security risk and that people at my school would try to hack into
> the server (what bull).

If you want to know why people have this perception, read the first response you received:

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:
PHP HIT BY ANOTHER CRITICAL FLAW

A new security flaw in the PHP Web service protocol used by a
> large number of Web applications could allow attackers to take
> control of vulnerable servers.

This is what people read in the media. Developers write vulnerable code, and the "blame" gets shared by PHP itself. The end result is that people think PHP itself is insecure.

Of course, if you ever see a news story that describes PHP as a web service protocol, you probably want to stop reading immediately. :-)

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy
http://brainbulb.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As this is the php mailing list it is obvious that i should not write against php. but people should know the truth. And it's a news (not by me) that's why i wanted to send link to u peoples.
I am sorry if i did something wrong, i am new user in php mailing list.

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:
As this is the php mailing list it is obvious that i should not write
against php. but people should know the truth.

Jasper is trying to make sure people know the truth. Articles like the one you mentioned are doing quite the opposite.

I am sorry if i did something wrong, i am new user in php mailing list.

I don't think you did anything wrong. However, you must realize how frustrating it is to see such misinformation being spread. Responsible members of the community should always speak out against such things. Don't take offense. :-)

Chris

--

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:
I am sorry if i did something wrong, i am new user in php mailing list.

The problem is, it's not the truth. News isn't always true (gasp). You're welcome to write against PHP in this list, but only if what you write is true!

I am just saying, you should take what you read in the media with a grain of salt. The person that wrote this article obviously has no idea what PHP or XMLRPC are, as he thinks that a vulnerability in PEAR's XMLRPC package (*not* part of PHP, but simply a library built using PHP) is a vulnerability in PHP itself.

Jasper

Hi ,

I have a ldap server the user password are stored in that. my php ldasearch result says that the result is
ldap user password : {SMD5}eRuT8dttD6M6N6tgMJF33/TNAvc=
i want to compare this password with the user given password in other application (obviously php) but when i md5("passwordgiven") then it is showing different output.
Any suggestions.

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:
Hi ,

I have a ldap server the user password are stored in that. my php ldasearch result says that the result is
ldap user password : {SMD5}eRuT8dttD6M6N6tgMJF33/TNAvc=
i want to compare this password with the user given password in other application (obviously php) but when i md5("passwordgiven") then it is showing different output.
Any suggestions.

MD5 and SMD5 are not the same type of encryption. md5() will not return the correct results.
then can i output the SMD5 of my password in php.

Jeff Loiselle wrote:

Santosh Jambhlikar wrote:

Hi ,

I have a ldap server the user password are stored in that. my php ldasearch result says that the result is
ldap user password : {SMD5}eRuT8dttD6M6N6tgMJF33/TNAvc=
i want to compare this password with the user given password in other application (obviously php) but when i md5("passwordgiven") then it is showing different output.
Any suggestions.

MD5 and SMD5 are not the same type of encryption. md5() will not return the correct results.

--
Santosh Jambhlikar
Linux Administrator
Cash-Tech Solutions