php-general Digest 28 Jan 2006 20:47:26 -0000 Issue 3932

ID vs NAME in different browsers
        229393 by: Niels
        229401 by: Jason Petersen
        229404 by: Niels
        229405 by: David Hall

Re: Apache is not parsing .php files
        229394 by: sanjay

Re: Please help with apache 2
        229395 by: PHP

Re: A black thumbnail.
        229396 by: tedd
        229397 by: tedd
        229398 by: tedd
        229403 by: Weber Sites LTD

A black thumbnail. (Solved)
        229399 by: tedd

query regarding forms
        229400 by: suresh kumar
        229406 by: Miles Thompson

Re: absolute vs relative path?
        229402 by: Jason Petersen

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-general@lists.php.net

Hi,

when making an input field for submission from a form, I need to put a
name='something' in it. For CSS I often use an id='something'. Some
browsers apparently submit the field properly if name is missing and id is
present. Others might not. Can anyone tell me about what browsers do what?

Thanks,
Niels

On 1/28/06, Niels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

when making an input field for submission from a form, I need to put a
> name='something' in it. For CSS I often use an id='something'. Some
> browsers apparently submit the field properly if name is missing and id is
> present. Others might not. Can anyone tell me about what browsers do what?

HTML Forms should always use the NAME attribute to pass values, never ID.
You can use print_r($_REQUEST); at the top of your script to debug.

Jason

On Saturday 28 January 2006 16:47, Jason Petersen wrote:

> HTML Forms should always use the NAME attribute to pass values, never ID.
> You can use print_r($_REQUEST); at the top of your script to debug.

Thank you for your answer. W3C says:

[http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html]

name = cdata [CI]
This attribute names the element so that it may be referred to from style
sheets or scripts. Note. This attribute has been included for backwards
compatibility. Applications should use the  id attribute to identify
elements.

So my question remains: How well do browsers support using only id?

//Niels

Niels wrote:

name = cdata [CI] This attribute names the element so that it may be referred to from style
sheets or scripts. Note. This attribute has been included for backwards
compatibility. Applications should use the  id attribute to identify
elements.

Uh, sorry to disappoint, but that's a description of the form element, not of the input element or select input.

In fact, if you go to http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.4.2 , you will see that the example form quite clearly uses name. And for the input element, http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.4.2 says that name assigns the control name.

The attributes for the form element are completely independent of the input elements. (Note, for things like radio buttons, using id makes no sense. You must have multiple elements with the same name. If you used id for these multiple elements, you would be breaking the rules of html saying only one element can have a certain id . . .)

David Hall

Thanks for the help.

Yeah problem was with php.ini file.

Entry for memory limit is 12MB in the file actually it should read 12M (not
12MB).

sanjay
www.apptility.com

Richard Lynch wrote:

On Thu, January 26, 2006 2:19 pm, sanjay wrote:
I have a strange problem while trying to run php based applications.

Lets start with phpMyAdmin, a very popular open source tool to manage
MySQL written in php.
I have already installed phpMyAdmin and was running fine.
One day suddenly when I pointed my browser at :
http://localhost/phpMyAdmin
Instead of running the phpMyAdmin browser opened a message window with
options-
"Open With" or "Save to disk" .
I am sure its not browser problem because I tried on Firefox-1.5,
Mozilla, Epiphany and Konqueror.

One more point I would like to add here that if I write one small php
program and
save it in as php file (test.php) then
http://localhost/test.php
executes properly

I am using Fedora 2 and apache2, php-4.3x and mysql-3.x were part of
the
Fedora installation.
The only change I made in the /etc/php.ini file was to increase the
memory limit from 8MB to 12MB.
(Then restarted the http server)
Now even php.ini file is in the original state but problem is still
there.
The http.conf file is unchanged.

Can any one give me some sort of idea.

My first WILD GUESS is that way long time ago, you changed httpd.conf
and/or php.ini, but forgot to re-start Apache, and then tested, and
everything worked, so you went on.

Now, when you HAVE re-started Apache, your "fix" from ages ago is
finally kicking in, and you have no recollection of that change.

If you have log files or notes of changes made previously, especially
to httpd.conf, php.ini, or .htaccess, review them -- Keep in mind that
what you are calling your "original" httpd.conf and php.ini file are,
in fact, the ones you modified oh so long ago.

Another tack you can take is to go ahead and save what the browser is
sending you and look at it and see what it looks like.

PHP Source?

Or something else?

Also use telnet or curl (from another box) or similar to get the
headers and HTML that is coming out from the broken pages.

Hi,
Thanks, putting the addtype in the <directory> section seems to have solved the problem.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Trainor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>