php-general Digest 31 Mar 2007 20:49:32 -0000 Issue 4708

Re: Saving css state in javascript and passing to php via form submit
        251824 by: Tijnema !
        251829 by: Tijnema !
        251835 by: Jochem Maas

Re: FastCGI + PHP5
        251825 by: Mario Guenterberg
        251827 by: Mario Guenterberg

Re: Parsing database variables
        251826 by: Jim Lucas
        251836 by: Jake McHenry
        251837 by: Jochem Maas
        251842 by: Jochem Maas

Re: tabbed navegation PHP
        251828 by: Jim Lucas

newbie question about debuging
        251830 by: buFka
        251831 by: Tijnema !
        251832 by: buFka
        251833 by: Tijnema !
        251834 by: buFka

Re: Alternative/Addition to using a CAPTCHA
        251838 by: tedd
        251839 by: tedd
        251840 by: Tijnema !
        251841 by: tedd
        251843 by: Tijnema !

Speed of apache/php4 on windows
        251844 by: Don Don

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-general@lists.php.net

On 3/31/07, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Tijnema ! wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>> >  > > > > >

>> personally I prefer JSON formatted data, for which there are even a
>> couple of
>> functions available in newer versions of php (otherwise you can find
>> code on the net
>> easily enough to handle JSON data creation/parsing):
>>
>> http://php.net/json
>
> I prefer not to do a lot of processing in Javascript, what i usually
> do is send plain HTML and directly output it inside a <div>

'processing' JSON formatted data is a matter of running a single eval()
line in javascript!?!

just outputting HTML directly into a div is useful in many simple
situations but it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for any real client
sided application logic ...

All that "client side application logic" can also be done in PHP.
Where's the sense in learning to work with JSON, if it can be done in
PHP too? PHP is a lot faster then javascript right?

Tijnema

On 3/31/07, Tijnema ! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 3/31/07, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tijnema ! wrote:

> >> personally I prefer JSON formatted data, for which there are even a
> >> couple of
> >> functions available in newer versions of php (otherwise you can find
> >> code on the net
> >> easily enough to handle JSON data creation/parsing):
> >>
> >> http://php.net/json
> >
> > I prefer not to do a lot of processing in Javascript, what i usually
> > do is send plain HTML and directly output it inside a <div>
>
> 'processing' JSON formatted data is a matter of running a single eval()
> line in javascript!?!
>
> just outputting HTML directly into a div is useful in many simple
> situations but it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for any real client
> sided application logic ...

All that "client side application logic" can also be done in PHP.
Where's the sense in learning to work with JSON, if it can be done in
PHP too? PHP is a lot faster then javascript right?

Tijnema

I've did a few test on this PC(AMD64 3200+), it's running EasyPHP
(Apache+PHP+MySQL), and it shows me that PHP is about twice as fast
then Javascript.(Tested using IE6, FF wasn't working because script
took too long to execute, which generates messages on firefox, and
which didn't let me finish the script)

Tijnema

Tijnema ! wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tijnema ! wrote:

..

>> 'processing' JSON formatted data is a matter of running a single eval()
>> line in javascript!?!
>>
>> just outputting HTML directly into a div is useful in many simple
>> situations but it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for any real client
>> sided application logic ...
>
> All that "client side application logic" can also be done in PHP.
> Where's the sense in learning to work with JSON, if it can be done in
> PHP too? PHP is a lot faster then javascript right?

ok please shut up - you've completely missed the point.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 07:00:07PM -0400, Stevie wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> anyone have any decent docs getting the config working? i guess not many
> people using FastCGI w/PHP because it's seems so complicated to setup.
> btw i have already installed the fastcgi libs and mod_fastcgi. what
> should an apache configure line look like when you complie php/fastcgi
> with it.. am i suppose to install apache first? some people say you have
> to install apache first but if you install apache first how will it
> locate the php libs?

Hi..

Try this http://www.fastcgi.com/docs/faq.html#PHP

Greetings
Mario

| havelsoft.com - Ihr Service Partner für Open Source |
| Tel:  033876-21 966                                 |
| Notruf: 0173-277 33 60                              |
| http://www.havelsoft.com                            |
|                                                     |
| Inhaber: Mario Günterberg                           |
| Mützlitzer Strasse 19                               |
| 14715 Märkisch Luch                                 |

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 07:00:07PM -0400, Stevie wrote:

or this:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-509127-p-1.html

Greetings
Mario

| havelsoft.com - Ihr Service Partner für Open Source |
| Tel:  033876-21 966                                 |
| Notruf: 0173-277 33 60                              |
| http://www.havelsoft.com                            |
|                                                     |
| Inhaber: Mario Günterberg                           |
| Mützlitzer Strasse 19                               |
| 14715 Märkisch Luch                                 |

Jake McHenry wrote:
Ok, this is working good, except for one problem... I have variable
$pay_rate   and $pay_rate_bap ... It finds $pay_rate first and then it never
finds $pay_rate_bap because it changes it to say.. 21_bap... Anyone know of
anything else that may work? I have been messing around with eval, and I
havn't gotten it to work even once yet... Always comes back with error at
line 5 of eval'd.... And line 5 of the paragraph is a blank line... Line 4
is plain text... Not even a variable until line 12...

Fine, just switch the order you are adding them to the two different arrays.

instead of this:
$find[] = '$pay_rate';
$find[] = '$pay_rate_bap';
$replace[] = $pay_rate;
$replace[] = $pay_rate_bap;

do this
$find[] = '$pay_rate_bap';
$find[] = '$pay_rate';
$replace[] = $pay_rate_bap;
$replace[] = $pay_rate;

find the longer one first

I guess next I will play around with preg_replace, but I'm thinking I will
have the same problem as I did with str_replace... As long as the variable
names have any kind of similar names.... Correct? I can resolve this I
suppose, but the data is already in place and trying to work around it...

Thanks,
Jake