php-general Digest 1 Jul 2007 10:32:56 -0000 Issue 4878

Re: Flash / Ajax / PHP
        258007 by: zerof
        258008 by: tedd
        258010 by: David Giragosian
        258020 by: Ryan A

Re: implementation of guest book
        258009 by: brian

Re: HELP - I have tried to unsubscribe from this listmutipletimes but cannot.
        258011 by: Daniel Brown

Date Calculation Help
        258012 by: revDAVE
        258013 by: Oliver Jato
        258018 by: Paul Novitski

str_replace new line
        258014 by: jekillen

Re: simple OCR in php
        258015 by: Jay Blanchard
        258016 by: Robert Cummings
        258017 by: Stut

developer seeking document writer
        258019 by: adel

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Giragosian escreveu:
I've recently been using some limited free time to explore the Freemovie
(Flash-PHP API) and Ajax technologies.

Can anyone help me to understand whether these can be used together? Can I,
for example, pull data from MySQL, dynamically alter Flash function
parameters, then use Ajax to deliver the new content?

Thanks in advance,

David

-------
The right place:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

--
zerof
http://www.educar.pro.br/

At 10:30 AM -0500 6/29/07, David Giragosian wrote:
I've recently been using some limited free time to explore the Freemovie
(Flash-PHP API) and Ajax technologies.

Can anyone help me to understand whether these can be used together? Can I,
for example, pull data from MySQL, dynamically alter Flash function
parameters, then use Ajax to deliver the new content?

Thanks in advance,

David

David:

Short answer is yes, you can pull all these together to deliver content.

However, you need to understand not only php, but ActionScript. I don't see why you would need Ajax to do this because you would first create the Flash segment in the background and then simply bring it forward and present it in a Flash player..

I think I have an idea of what you are trying to do and I believe it would be best if you created graphics in the background using php and then brought it forward with Ajax as data changed, all without the need for flash.

But, if you want to investigate the Flash-PHP connection try Google "actionscript and php"

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------

On 6/30/07, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 10:30 AM -0500 6/29/07, David Giragosian wrote:
>I've recently been using some limited free time to explore the Freemovie
>(Flash-PHP API) and Ajax technologies.
>
>Can anyone help me to understand whether these can be used together? Can
I,
>for example, pull data from MySQL, dynamically alter Flash function
>parameters, then use Ajax to deliver the new content?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>David

David:

Short answer is yes, you can pull all these together to deliver content.

However, you need to understand not only php, but ActionScript. I
don't see why you would need Ajax to do this because you would first
create the Flash segment in the background and then simply bring it
forward and present it in a Flash player..

I think I have an idea of what you are trying to do and I believe it
would be best if you created graphics in the background using php and
then brought it forward with Ajax as data changed, all without the
need for flash.

But, if you want to investigate the Flash-PHP connection try Google
"actionscript and php"

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------

Thanks tedd and zerof.

tedd, I did as you suggested above with graphics created with PHP/GD and
pulled with Ajax ( http://home.capecod.net/~cape84/Monitor.PNG  for a static
example ) but the image, when updated, is still unstable on IE while still
_perfectly_ stable on FireFox. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to live with
suggesting users view with FireFox but I'll try to mock up a test case with
Flash to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks,

David

> but the image, when updated, is still unstable on IE while still
> _perfectly_ stable on FireFox.

This might be due to cacheing on IE.... which anyone who has messed with php
online for a little time will be familier with. IE is a bitch at times... just
likes the company that makes the software ;)

Sometimes this gets solved with spitting out some headers telling IE not to
cache while others have (dirty) solved it by adding a hash or something else
unique to the page or the image...

for example:
php_script.php?get_img=img_name&random=something_random_here

HTH.

Cheers!

------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)

---------------------------------

Shiv Prakash wrote:
Sir,

I have implemented the guest book in web site successfully and its
working also without any problem but administration side is asking
for ID and Password, my request is how do I get that because I have
tried my level best to find it in the site but I couldn’t get it
,there was not any option for that and as of downloading is concern
it was free, therefore I request you to help me out of this and solve
my problem,

It seems that the guestbook script you're using was written by somebody else. If that's the case then you should probably contact whomever you got this code from.

Failing that, you'll probably have to write your own administrative scripts to access the guestbook tables in the database. That should be pretty straightforward by studying the script you have.

brian

On 6/30/07, Brian Seymour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Patrick, did you trying going to http://www.php.net/unsub.php yet?

=D

Brian Seymour

AeroCoreProductions

http://www.aerocore.net/

   Patrick,

   In Gmail, you may have it forwarded to your account via a remote
domain, or perhaps pulled in from a POP3/IMAP server.  If you click
the down-arrow next to the Reply link at the top-right corner of each
message, then click "View Original," you'll see the full headers of
the message.  Check the Return-Path of any of the messages from the
list and you should see an address similar to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  If you
see a different address, then you're subscribed under a forwarder.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

I have segmented a year into four quarters (3 months each)

nowdate = the month of the chosen date (ex: 5-30-07 = month 5)

Q: What is the best way to calculate which quarter  (1-2-3 or 4) the chosen
date falls on?

Result - Ex: 5-30-07 = month 5 and should fall in quarter 2

--
Thanks - RevDave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

revDAVE wrote:

> I have segmented a year into four quarters (3 months each)
>
> nowdate = the month of the chosen date (ex: 5-30-07 = month 5)
>
> Q: What is the best way to calculate which quarter  (1-2-3 or 4) the
> chosen date falls on?
>
> Result - Ex: 5-30-07 = month 5 and should fall in quarter 2

You could do it like this: floor(($month-1)/3)+1;

At 6/30/2007 08:14 AM, revDAVE wrote:
I have segmented a year into four quarters (3 months each)

nowdate = the month of the chosen date (ex: 5-30-07 = month 5)

Q: What is the best way to calculate which quarter  (1-2-3 or 4) the chosen
date falls on?

Result - Ex: 5-30-07 = month 5 and should fall in quarter 2

If you divide the month number by 3 you get:

1       0.333333333
2       0.666666667
3       1
4       1.333333333
5       1.666666667
6       2
7       2.333333333
8       2.666666667
9       3
10      3.333333333
11      3.666666667
12      4

The first digit is off by one, so subtract .1 from each result:

1       0.233333333
2       0.566666667
3       0.9
4       1.233333333
5       1.566666667
6       1.9
etc.

Now you can see from the first digit that if you take the integer value and add 1 you'll get:

1       1
2       1
3       1
4       2
5       2
6       2
etc.

In PHP this could be:

        intval(($month - .1)/3 + 1)
or:
        intval(($month + .9)/3)

I believe you can use intval() and floor() interchangeably in this circumstance.

Regards,

Paul
__________________________

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.
http://juniperwebcraft.com
Hello;
I have the following  code:

$prps = str_replace("\n", ' ', $input[3]);
$request = str_replace("// var purpose = {} ;\n", "var purpose = '$prps';\n", $request);

In the first line $input[3] is a string formatted with new lines at the end of each line. It is to be used to initialize a javascript variable (in the second line above), in an html file
template.
When the html file is generated from the template, the javascript written to it fails
with unterminated string literal error message.
When opening a view source window, the 'var purpose...' line does have the string broken up with extra spaces at the beginning of each line. This indicates that the new line was not replaced with the space. The space was merely added after
the new line.
How do you replace a new line with php in a case like this?

Testing this is very tedious. Each time I have to go through and undo
file modifications that this function performs in addition to the above.
So it is not just a case of making a change and reloading the file
and rerunning it.

Thanks in advance;
JK

[snip]
> In short PHP cannot perform OCR functions.

Why? PHP provides all requisite functions/features so if someone was
sadistic enough and talented enough there's nothing to stop them writing

an OCR app using it.
[/snip]

Sure, but then the scanning device would have to be connected to the
server. I suppose you could open a socket and stream the information to
the server and then have PHP read and interpret the stream as it
arrives. See how complex this is becoming?

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 12:12 -0500, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> [snip]
> > In short PHP cannot perform OCR functions.
>
> Why? PHP provides all requisite functions/features so if someone was
> sadistic enough and talented enough there's nothing to stop them writing
>
> an OCR app using it.
> [/snip]
>
> Sure, but then the scanning device would have to be connected to the
> server. I suppose you could open a socket and stream the information to
> the server and then have PHP read and interpret the stream as it
> arrives. See how complex this is becoming?

It was JUST as complex the first time someone did it in C, or Java, or
what have your for a chosen language.

Cheers,
Rob.

Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
In short PHP cannot perform OCR functions.

Why? PHP provides all requisite functions/features so if someone was sadistic enough and talented enough there's nothing to stop them writing

an OCR app using it.
[/snip]

Sure, but then the scanning device would have to be connected to the
server. I suppose you could open a socket and stream the information to
the server and then have PHP read and interpret the stream as it
arrives. See how complex this is becoming?

Maybe it's just me, but OCR and scanning are certainly related but are by no means dependant on each other. Is it becoming complex or are you over-complicating it?

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/

hi

I wrote php 5 framework, not trying to do everything or add layers of
complexing to what php already do easy, this framework has few objects
that helps me doing commonly tasks easily like generating valid HTML,
localization, "ajax" without coding any javascript and managing
database without any SQL... stuff you may find useful, the problem
that stops people from using it, is the lack of fine document, I wrote
one [1] and rolled Example package [2] but my English is not good
enough for writing such as document, so if you are interested to help
this open source framework, please let me know :)

thank you

1 - http://code.google.com/p/teddyframework/wiki/Documentation
2 -
http://code.google.com/p/teddyframework/downloads/detail?name=Examples-0.2.zip&can=2&q=