php-general Digest 25 Feb 2008 10:08:55 -0000 Issue 5313

Re: mysql test and error
        270015 by: Brady Mitchell

Re: temprorary error
        270016 by: Nathan Rixham
        270017 by: Shawn McKenzie
        270020 by: Wolf
        270028 by: Zoltán Németh

Re: When to use design patterns?
        270018 by: Nathan Rixham
        270021 by: Larry Garfield

Re: Plant Extracts and Our Factory
        270019 by: Wolf

Copying specific fields from table to table
        270022 by: Rob Gould
        270023 by: Chris

Re: URL modification
        270024 by: Xavier de Lapeyre

PHP 24 hour processes?
        270025 by: Zoran Bogdanov
        270026 by: Paul Scott

Re: temporary error
        270027 by: Peter Ford

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Feb 24, 2008, at 200PM, hE wrote:

The following program gave the error:

"Parse error: parse error in C:\apache\htdocs\mysqltest.php on line 10"

Did you copy/paste the code? If so maybe the quotation marks are the fancy "smart quotes" like MS Office likes to use. Try replacing your quotes with regular old quotation marks.

Brady

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 15:55 -0500, tedd wrote:
At 7:38 PM +0100 2/24/08, Zoltán Németh wrote:
2008. 02. 24, vasárnap keltezéssel 09.59-kor Mary Anderson ezt írta:
 Hey guys,
      Isn't this thread a bit OT?
well, for a php list sure it is... but not the first one, and it seems
to me that many members of the list are interested in it...

      Anyway, as  areligious person I have to say that I really do not
 like to hear religions trashed and smeared the way you are doing.  And
 just for the record, we Quakers do not believe God tells us to kill
 people and we have no priests.
actually I think there was no trashing and smearing here, only some
decent talking about religion and some humor (the 'rewrite the bible'
site)

I'm sure you'll get an argument over the "no trashing and smearing here" claim.

But, in your defense, you probably don't realize the disrespect shown, or that's perceived by others, regarding beliefs.

It's a touchy subject and usually not one to discuss with a wide range of different beliefs, some of which hold other's beliefs in low esteem -- as does the 'rewrite the bible' site. Incidentally, which started the religious portion of this thread.

I think we've about beat this to death

Sooooooooo.... let's resurrect it!! *ducks and runs away cackling*

Cheers,
Rob.

you know looking through the list - I'm struggling to find a thread that rob's participated in and *not* had the last say on..

[can you resist?]

Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:

>>> I'm sure you'll get an argument over the "no trashing and smearing
>>> here" claim.
>>>
>>> But, in your defense, you probably don't realize the disrespect
>>> shown, or that's perceived by others, regarding beliefs.
>>>
>>> It's a touchy subject and usually not one to discuss with a wide
>>> range of different beliefs, some of which hold other's beliefs in low
>>> esteem -- as does the 'rewrite the bible' site. Incidentally, which
>>> started the religious portion of this thread.
>>>
>>> I think we've about beat this to death
>>
>> Sooooooooo.... let's resurrect it!! *ducks and runs away cackling*
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>
> you know looking through the list - I'm struggling to find a thread that
> rob's participated in and *not* had the last say on..
>
> [can you resist?]

This one, and I'll continue saying "this one"...

Then make use of your delete key.

     Anyway, as  areligious person I have to say that I really do not
like to hear religions trashed and smeared the way you are doing.  And
just for the record, we Quakers do not believe God tells us to kill
people and we have no priests.

Mary Anderson

2008. 02. 24, vasárnap keltezéssel 15.55-kor tedd ezt írta:
> At 7:38 PM +0100 2/24/08, Zoltán Németh wrote:
> >2008. 02. 24, vasárnap keltezéssel 09.59-kor Mary Anderson ezt írta:
> >>  Hey guys,
> >>       Isn't this thread a bit OT?
> >
> >well, for a php list sure it is... but not the first one, and it seems
> >to me that many members of the list are interested in it...
> >
> >>       Anyway, as  areligious person I have to say that I really do not
> >>  like to hear religions trashed and smeared the way you are doing.  And
> >>  just for the record, we Quakers do not believe God tells us to kill
> >>  people and we have no priests.
> >
> >actually I think there was no trashing and smearing here, only some
> >decent talking about religion and some humor (the 'rewrite the bible'
> >site)
>

> I'm sure you'll get an argument over the "no trashing and smearing here"
> claim.
>
> But, in your defense, you probably don't realize
> the disrespect shown, or that's perceived by
> others, regarding beliefs.
>
> It's a touchy subject and usually not one to
> discuss with a wide range of different beliefs,
> some of which hold other's beliefs in low esteem
> -- as does the 'rewrite the bible' site.
> Incidentally, which started the religious portion
> of this thread.

you know, for me now it looks like the case of the Muhammad cartoons.
nobody meant any offense but it seems its offending for someone...
however I don't know why.
anyway, lets drop this thread.

greets
Zoltán Németh

> I think we've about beat this to death, so we can
> let it go and get our collective thoughts back to
> more worldly endeavors. Besides, I'm starting to
> get emails from the OT police, which I tend to
> agree with.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

carlos wrote:
skylark wrote:

Design patterns are really hot today.
And I am really interested when and how often they are used.

It is said that 99% of the projects don't need them.

Design patterns are used to solve common problems to in OOP programming.

If you use OOP, chances are you have used a design pattern without even being aware of it.

I like to make the right hand side of all my code look like a contemporary ascii art vase.
On Saturday 23 February 2008, carlos wrote:
> skylark wrote:
> > Design patterns are really hot today.
> > And I am really interested when and how often they are used.
> >
> > It is said that 99% of the projects don't need them.
>
> Design patterns are used to solve common problems to in OOP programming.
>
> If you use OOP, chances are you have used a design pattern without even
> being aware of it.

Untrue.  Design patterns are not OOP-specific, although they are frequently
discussed in OOP terms.

Design patterns are just that: A formalization of various common patterns that
come up over and over in programming.  Ever get the feeling "wow, I know I've
written something kinda like this at least three times now?"  That means it's
probably a design pattern of some kind.

Studying design patterns helps you recognize a give problem as being similar
to another, so the solution is probably similar.  It also can alert you to
common pitfalls and common ways around them.

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson

That's easy....

He thinks that php is asp plus lead, so he figured that we could get the plant
extracts with the added lead and be set!

Gotta love morons...