php-general Digest 22 Feb 2009 17:38:38 -0000 Issue 5973

PHP5 - SOAP extension and WSDL generation
        288657 by: Yannick Warnier

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out how to generate a WSDL with the functions I am
providing as web services, and I'm finding various posts on the net that
say it's not possible with the SOAP extension built in PHP5.

At the same time, I find that
http://www.php.net/manual/en/soap.constants.php
lists four constants that have to do with WSDL caching:

WSDL_CACHE_NONE (integer)
WSDL_CACHE_DISK (integer)
WSDL_CACHE_MEMORY (integer)
WSDL_CACHE_BOTH (integer)

which apparently are only used in the
http://www.php.net/manual/en/soapserver.soapserver.php method.

so I'm a bit confused about the lack of info there. Why would the
extension not include a WSDL-generation method for one given server
object while other libraries (NuSOAP and PEAR::SOAP) do? Isn't that kind
of pushing users away from the core extension?
I mean, generating a WSDL is not a funny job, but many services will
need one and a developer doesn't want to be updating his at every change
he makes in his service function, does he?

Thank you,

Yannick