php-general Digest 8 Mar 2010 10:22:20 -0000 Issue 6627

Re: pear for fedora 11
        302593 by: Ashley Sheridan

Re: Mail Function In PHP
        302594 by: Al
        302597 by: Richard Quadling

int $number = decode_dtmf(string $wavefile)
        302595 by: Thilo Klein
        302596 by: muzy

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 01:07 +0800, Edward. S. P. Leong wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Which can we download pear ann install into fc 11 system ?
>
> Thank for your help !
>
> Edward.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean what Pear
components can be installed on a Fedora 11 system? I'm running Fedora 11
on my desktop and laptop at the moment, and both systems are running
5.2.12, so any of the Pear modules that say they will run on that are
fine. If you need to check to see what version of PHP is running, in a
console or text login, type 'yum list php' and you'll get a line that
reads something like:

php.i586    5.2.12-1.fc11    @updates

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Use the Pear Mail package. In particular the smtp class.

It will save you much grief and time.

On 3/6/2010 11:54 PM, Kannan wrote:
Hello
            I am creating a application for our college using the
php.In that i want to send mail to all who are all the list.

For that i am just simply use the mail function in php without
configuring any mail system in the system.But the mail didn't send.
For sending the mails wat are requirements and if u have any tutorials
send it to me?

Thanks..

On 7 March 2010 04:54, Kannan <kanna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>           I am creating a application for our college using the
> php.In that i want to send mail to all who are all the list.
>
> For that i am just simply use the mail function in php without
> configuring any mail system in the system.But the mail didn't send.
> For sending the mails wat are requirements and if u have any tutorials
> send it to me?
>
> Thanks..
>

> --
> With regards,
>
> Kannan. R. P,
> Blog @: http://kannan4k.wordpress.com/

Contrary to popular belief, to send an email you do not need to have
your own SMTP server. All you need to know is the SMTP server
responsible for your recipients email.

This information is held as part of the domain registration details
and is known as the MX records (as I understand it).

PHP has a function called getmxrr() [1]. This allows you to supply a
domain name and get back the list of MX records suitable for handling
the SMTP mail.

This function wasn't available on Windows until recently, and I
created a userland version utilising Windows nslookup.exe program [2].

So, once you've got the list of SMTP servers for the domain you are
sending email to, you can use the ini_set('SMTP', 'xxxxxx'); function
to set the server to handle the mail() call you are about to make.

Upside : No local SMTP server - you are not responsible for
maintaining/administering/etc. any aspect of the SMTP process.
Upside : If the mail() call fails, you can try the other MX records (I
tend to sort the results based upon weight and try them in sequence).
If it fails all of them, you know straight away and can deal with it.
Upside : No relaying. No permission issues to worry about. You are
simply talking to the public SMTP servers just like any other SMTP
server or sender.

Downside : No queuing. Without a _LOCAL_ SMTP server, you can only
deal with sending email in real time.
Downside : One domain at a time. You cannot send email to
a...@domain1.com, b...@domain2.com _AND_ c...@domain3.com in the 1 email.

None of these steps affect the use of mail() or a mail sending class
(phpmailer, RMail, html_mime_mail5, etc.).

Regards,

Richard.

[1] http://docs.php.net/getmxrr
[2] http://docs.php.net/getmxrr#53182

Richard.

--
-----
Richard Quadling

Hello,

I want to read a wav-file CCITT u-Law 64 kbit/s, 8Bit, Mono, 8 kHz into
PHP which contains a DTMF-Code and I want PHP to output the numbers, so
I am looking for a function like

int $number = decode_dtmf(string $wavefile);

Is such a function available or is someone kind enough to code it under
the GPL?

Regards

Thilo Klein

PS: PHP5 is running on an apache webserver over here

Dear Thilo,

please do not email your question more than once to the mailinglist.
(you did it 3 or 4 times in a very short period of time) I'm sure
everyone read your email and you probably didn't get an answer yet
because no one knows it. So just wait ;-)

Best wishes,

Muzy