php-general Digest 2 Apr 2010 23:05:23 -0000 Issue 6672

str_replace help
        303749 by: David Stoltz
        303750 by: Ashley Sheridan
        303751 by: Midhun Girish
        303752 by: Nilesh Govindarajan

SimpleXMLElement and gb2312 or big5
        303753 by: Peter Pei

SimpleXMLElement occasionally fails to parse gb2312 or big5 feeds
        303754 by: Peter Pei

convert a string into an array
        303755 by: Andre Polykanine

Hi folks,

In ASP, I would commonly replace string line feeds for HTML output like
this:

Var = replace(value,vbcrlf,"<br>")

In PHP, the following doesn't seem to work:
$var = str_replace(chr(13),"\n",$value)

Neither does:
$var = str_replace(chr(10),"\n",$value)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 09:28 -0400, David Stoltz wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> In ASP, I would commonly replace string line feeds for HTML output like
> this:
>
> Var = replace(value,vbcrlf,"<br>")
>
> In PHP, the following doesn't seem to work:
> $var = str_replace(chr(13),"\n",$value)
>
> Neither does:
> $var = str_replace(chr(10),"\n",$value)
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!

I see no reason why it shouldn't work other than maybe the string
doesn't contain what you think it does.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

well david actually $var = str_replace(chr(13),"\n",$value) will replace
char(13) with \n... but \n wont come up in html unless u give a <pre> tag..
u need to put

$var = str_replace(chr(13),"<br/>",$value) in order to got the required
output....

Midhun Girish

On 04/02/10 18:58, David Stoltz wrote:
Hi folks,

In ASP, I would commonly replace string line feeds for HTML output like
this:

Var = replace(value,vbcrlf,"<br>")

In PHP, the following doesn't seem to work:
$var = str_replace(chr(13),"\n",$value)

Neither does:
$var = str_replace(chr(10),"\n",$value)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Use nl2br.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I use the following code to get rss and parse it, but the code occasionally have issues with gb2312 or big-5 encoded feeds, and fails to parse them. However other times may appear just okay. Any thoughts? Maybe SimpleXMLElement is simply not meant for other language encodings...

                $page = file_get_contents($rss);
                try {
                        $feed = new SimpleXMLElement($page);

I use the following code to get rss and parse it, but the code occasionally have issues with gb2312 or big-5 encoded feeds, and fails to parse them. However other times may appear just okay. Any thoughts? Maybe SimpleXMLElement is simply not meant for other language encodings...

                $page = file_get_contents($rss);
                try {
                        $feed = new SimpleXMLElement($page);

Hello everyone,

It's quite simple but I'm still stuck.
What I need is the following: I have an array as a parameter of my
custom function. However, I'd like to allow users to enter a string
instead of an array. In this case (if the parameter is a string), it
must be replaced with an array containing only one item - actually,
that string.
What I'm doing gives me (presumably) errors;
function Send ($tonames, $toemails, $subject, $message) {
if ((!is_array($tonames)) || (!is_array($toemails))) {
$tonames[]=$tonames;
$toemails[]=$toemails;
}

I can't give the new array a new name since I address it further in a
loop as my function's parameter... hope you understand what I'm
saying)
Thanks!

--
With best regards from Ukraine,