php-general Digest 26 Jan 2011 13:06:15 -0000 Issue 7153

Formatting
        311032 by: Ethan Rosenberg
        311033 by: Donovan Brooke
        311034 by: joris ros
        311035 by: Jim Lucas

Unit Tests for Cache Class
        311036 by: Sebastian Detert

Cross-platform IDE
        311037 by: Andy McKenzie

Dear list -

I have a program with the following statement: $out = system('ls -l', $retval); The output is a string. How do I format the output to be in the Linux format, that is in columns. I cannot think of a way to use explode to do it.

Advice and comments, please.

Thanks

Ethan

MySQL 5.1 PHP 5.3.3-6 Linux [Debian (sid)]

Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
Dear list -

I have a program with the following statement: $out = system('ls -l',
$retval); The output is a string. How do I format the output to be in
the Linux format, that is in columns. I cannot think of a way to use
explode to do it.

Advice and comments, please.

Thanks

Ethan

MySQL 5.1 PHP 5.3.3-6 Linux [Debian (sid)]

Something like?:

print "<pre>";
$out = system('ls -l', $retval);
print "</pre>";

Donovan

--
D Brooke

Hi You can try something like this:

<?php

ob_start();
system('ls', $retval);
$raw = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();

$arr = explode(chr(10),$raw);

print_r($arr);

it gives you a array back whit the lines

On 1/25/2011 9:05 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
Dear list -

I have a program with the following statement: $out = system('ls -l',
$retval); The output is a string. How do I format the output to be in
the Linux format, that is in columns. I cannot think of a way to use
explode to do it.

Advice and comments, please.

Thanks

Ethan

MySQL 5.1 PHP 5.3.3-6 Linux [Debian (sid)]

Well, depends, are you running this in a browser or at the console?

If you are displaying this in a browser, you are probably seeing that browsers do not like \n (newlines)

If in a browser, you could:
1) Wrap your output in a <pre><?php echo $out; ?></pre> HTML tag
2) Use PHP's nl2br() to replace all newlines with "<br />" tags
3) Use PHP's header() function to tell the browser to display the output as plaintext. i.e. header('Content-Type: text/plain'); [1,2]

1 - Google "php header plain text"
2 - http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php#92620

If in cli...  well, you wouldn't be having this problem... :)

Jim Lucas

Hi all,

I'm just writing a small cache class to optimize my database connection. I want to use three different stages to store and receive my data as fast as possible.

1) fast
get data from class variable if existing

2) mid
get data from memcache if existing
-> save result as class variable

3) slowest:
sql query -> receive data from database
-> save result to memcache
-> save result as class variable

How would you write (unit) tests for such a class? What is the best way to prove, that all data was stored correctly, even after data manipulations like insert/update/delete?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions,
Sebastian

Hey folks,

    Hopefully this is enough on-topic not to annoy anyone.  Up until
now I've mostly written small one-off scripts -- a web page that needs
a few things dynamically generated, a shell script to do a small job,
things like that -- and vim has been more than adequate.  I'm
currently working on something a lot more complex -- a web based
front-end for a medium sized custom database -- and I'm finding that
my code is getting more and more scattered because I don't have a good
tool for looking at it.

   So:  does anyone have a recommendation for an IDE that works in
Windows, Mac, and Linux?  I spend roughly equal time in all three, and
I haven't found a tool I like yet that works in all of them.
Actually, I stopped looking three or four years ago, but at that point
there didn't seem to be anything.  If anyone has any advice, I'd love
to hear it!

Thanks,
  Alex