php-general Digest 11 Oct 2011 09:21:56 -0000 Issue 7514

Decoding Barcode Images
        315212 by: Floyd Resler
        315213 by: Jason Pruim
        315214 by: Matthew Pounsett
        315215 by: Shaun J. Farrell
        315216 by: Floyd Resler

Re: Oi , Portas/ Hello, Ports
        315217 by: Tim Streater
        315218 by: Ashley Sheridan

Re: Need help Wth PHP
        315219 by: Rod Lindgren
        315220 by: Paul M Foster
        315222 by: Rod Lindgren
        315224 by: Govinda

Re: Multiple SQLite statements
        315221 by: Paul M Foster
        315226 by: Tim Streater

Re: Please unsubscribe
        315223 by: Sharl.Jimh.Tsin

OpenSSL PKCS12 Exporting
        315225 by: Justin Kaufman

I've been trying to find a solution for decoding barcode images in PHP but
haven't had much luck so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Floyd

Jason Pruim
li...@pruimphotography.com

On Oct 10, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Floyd Resler wrote:

> I've been trying to find a solution for decoding barcode images in PHP but
> haven't had much luck so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Floyd

Hi Floyd,

What kind of barcodes are you wanting to work with? 2D? Postnet? IMB? QRCodes?

On 2011-10-10, at 14:42, Floyd Resler wrote:

> I've been trying to find a solution for decoding barcode images in PHP but
> haven't had much luck so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with a way to do it directly in PHP, but you could shell out
to something like zbar to do it.

zxing has a java commandline app that you can run.. simple to use great results.

http://code.google.com/p/zxing/

Shaun
www.brewerydb.com

On Oct 10, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Shaun J. Farrell wrote:

> zxing has a java commandline app that you can run.. simple to use great
> results.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/zxing/
>
> Shaun
> www.brewerydb.com
>
> On Oct 10, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>

>> On 2011-10-10, at 14:42, Floyd Resler wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to find a solution for decoding barcode images in PHP but
>>> haven't had much luck so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> I'm not familiar with a way to do it directly in PHP, but you could shell
>> out to something like zbar to do it.

Thanks for pointing out zxing!  It seems to work great except it doesn't like
my PDF-417 barcode.  A little tweaking on my end should get it to work.

Thanks!
Floyd

On 10 Oct 2011 at 19:30, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> Jim Giner <jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com> wrote:
>

>> ""QI.VOLMAR QI"" <qi.vol...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Alguem sabe se, e como eu posso trabalhar com as portas do computador
>> com
>>> php no windows?
>>>
>>> Do someone know if, and how, I could work with Computer logical ports
>> with
>>> PHP on Windows?
>>>
>>> ex: shell_exec('cat /dev/usbmon0 | hexdump'); <- Linux
>>>

>> If you mean "use php to interrogate a port" I would think the answer is
>> No.
>> Computer port=client; PHP=server.

> You can if the port is a server port, i.e. you're creating a daemon.. But, if
> it is the client machine you wish to inspect, then as Jim mentioned, PHP is
> not for you and something like java may be better suited, although I'm not
> sure how much power an applet has in this area.

Nothing wrong with using PHP client-side, I run plenty of PHP scripts that way.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 22:15 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2011 at 19:30, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Jim Giner <jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com> wrote:
> >

> >> ""QI.VOLMAR QI"" <qi.vol...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> com

> >> with

> >> If you mean "use php to interrogate a port" I would think the answer is
> >> No.
> >> Computer port=client; PHP=server.
>
> > You can if the port is a server port, i.e. you're creating a daemon.. But,
> > if
> > it is the client machine you wish to inspect, then as Jim mentioned, PHP is
> > not for you and something like java may be better suited, although I'm not
> > sure how much power an applet has in this area.
>
> Nothing wrong with using PHP client-side, I run plenty of PHP scripts that
> way.
>
> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Yes, but it's then behaving as a daemon. What you can't do is have the
script running on a client as if it were a plugin on a website which is
what I thought Jim was getting at.

--
Thanks,
Ash

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I am working on it.

What is it that makes Wordpress valuable? The website in question is really
pretty basic. I am trying to figure out the reason Wordpress was used.

Rod