php-general Digest 19 Apr 2012 05:10:50 -0000 Issue 7781

Re: Email Antispam
        317599 by: Jim Giner
        317605 by: Ross McKay

Re: sms class
        317600 by: Lester Caine
        317602 by: Matijn Woudt

Re: learning resources for PHP
        317601 by: Henry Martinez
        317603 by: sono-io.fannullone.us
        317604 by: Tim Dunphy

Re: tempnam() not working as expected...
        317606 by: tamouse mailing lists

"Ross McKay" <ro...@zeta.org.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:11:45 -0400, Jim Giner wrote:
>
>>So - does that mean you building the site from information contained in a
>>database?
>
> Yes. Client wanted email addresses on the website, but not available to
> SPAM harvesters. And not all addresses are "in the database" as
> structured data, many are embedded in page content (I have a WordPress
> shortcode that encodes the email address for those).
> --
> Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
> "Faced with a choice between the survival of the planet
> and a new set of matching tableware, most people would
> choose the tableware" - George Monbiot

He literally wants the "addresses" visible on the sight?  Or just an <a>
using the person's name that would then generate the email by referencing
the data table?  This is basic contact form methodology as mentioned by an
earlier post.

As for the missing ones, use that WP thingie to extract them and post them
to a speicifc email addr field in your table.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:08:00 -0400, Jim Giner wrote:

>He literally wants the "addresses" visible on the sight?  [...]

Yes, they want the addresses visible and clickable on the website. They
have contact forms, but they also want the email addresses (of their
scientists and other consultants) available to their clients. And they
want the addresses to be shielded against harvesting for spam.

As I said, I don't like doing it this way, but the client gets what they
want after the options have been explained to them.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition" - Cardinal Ximénez

Matijn Woudt wrote:
It should be possible to hack up an android phone and write some
software that sends messages from there, though using one of the
provided services is much simpler.

I have the phone already configured, but it requires a SIM card that ALLOWS sending messages via the data port. All UK SIM's are locked to only work from the phone itself :( This service IS available in other countries which is where the data came from ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Matijn Woudt wrote:
>>
>> It should be possible to hack up an android phone and write some
>> software that sends messages from there, though using one of the
>> provided services is much simpler.
>

> I have the phone already configured, but it requires a SIM card that ALLOWS
> sending messages via the data port. All UK SIM's are locked to only work
> from the phone itself :( This service IS available in other countries which
> is where the data came from ...

That's why I said, hack an android phone. You can simulate it is send
by the phone itself with enough programming skills.

Matijn

On 05/04/12 13:41, tamouse mailing lists wrote:

Bastien Koert

On 2012-04-03, at 10:39 PM, Tim Dunphy<bluethu...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Hello list,

  I am quite sure that you've heard this question at least a few times
before. :) But I have been dabbling a bit in PHP for years and I've
decided that its' high time that became serious about getting a solid
grounding in it. Currently I work as a Sysadmin and have modest but
reliable skills in bash and perl. But I consider PHP more of an
artform and I really need to 'pick up a brush and start painting' so
to speak.

  So what I was wondering what websites, and books you'd recommend to
someone who (for all intents and purpose) is just starting out.

  On my hit list of things to learn are basic php / database
interaction (mysql mainly).. then how to accelerate php interraction
through memcache.. and eventually one I have all that down onto using
some of the NoSQLs (mongo/cassandra/membase, etc).

Thanks!

--
GPG me!!

The manual is a great place

Www.php.net

Then there are tons of sites forum and otherwise to aid your learning.

I'll second the manual -- quite a lot of info, and generally very well written.

When I started out learning PHP, I used the tutorials at
webmonkey.com. They're pretty well done, and definitely got me going
quickly. If you already have programming experience, and understand
data bases a bit, they should help you along.
2 cents
If you have no programming or data base experience, PHP isn't
necessarily a bad first language, but it is very rich, and there are
many ways to make mistakes and create poorly formed programs. Writing
web apps is quite a bit different than writing admin scripts in shell
and perl, and there are various ways to go about it. While the php.net
manual is extensive in describing the workings and functions of PHP,
it is not a programming tutorial by any stretch.

Way back in the Jurassic of programming, I had a nifty little book
called "Programming Proverbs" that laid out quite succinctly some
rules of thumb for writing good code. Today, books like "Code
Complete" serve that purpose well, but with a lot more text and no
where near as much fun. Still, if you're are a beginner to writing
applications, it's good to look at such books.

I've been having a lot of fun with Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle. Covers basics nicely, and I've found myself going back to the book for reference constantly as I do my own php medium size project as a learning experience =)

Also, the code samples and explanations are top notch, and you come to really understand what it is you're doing..

so that's my 2 cents!

-Henry A.

On Apr 18, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Henry Martinez wrote:

> I've been having a lot of fun with Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle. Covers
> basics nicely...
>
> Also, the code samples and explanations are top notch, and you come to really
> understand what it is you're doing..

        +1

Marc

> I've been having a lot of fun with Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle. Covers
> basics nicely...

Nice! I'll give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM,  <sono...@fannullone.us> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Henry Martinez wrote:
>
>> I've been having a lot of fun with Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle. Covers
>> basics nicely...
>>
>> Also, the code samples and explanations are top notch, and you come to
>> really understand what it is you're doing..
>
>        +1
>
> Marc

GPG me!!

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:09 AM, ma...@behnke.biz <ma...@behnke.biz> wrote:
>> mkdir($d,777,true);                /* make the directory */
> Try using "mkdir($d, 0777, true);"

Herein, my friends, lies the problem. Silly me, using a DECIMAL number
(777) instead of an OCTAL number (0777).