php-general Digest 20 Aug 2012 08:15:38 -0000 Issue 7930

Re: OT (maybe not): Drupal vs WordPress
        318759 by: Michael Shadle
        318760 by: Curtis Maurand
        318761 by: Bastien
        318762 by: Michael Shadle
        318763 by: lamp.afan.net
        318764 by: tamouse mailing lists
        318767 by: Jim Lucas

Re: Cost of redirect and site domain switch? Good Practice/ Bad Practice /
Terrible Practice
        318765 by: Jim Lucas
        318766 by: Andrew Ballard

Re: Need Help in Yaf spreading
        318768 by: Laruence

I suggest Wordpress only for blogs or "brochureware" or basic page based sites.
It has security flaws often and I've had many sites hacked and servers
compromised because of it.

Out of the box it is very easy to use and polished and has a lot of themes
available and is pretty easy to theme.

I recommend Drupal for anything else. Out of the box it doesn't do anything
"very well" it provides the building blocks to do a lot of things well with
modules. It rarely has security issues compared to Wordpress.

It is much more extensible than Wordpress. Anything using Wordpress for forums,
shopping carts or anything else is a gross misuse of the original intention for
Wordpress. Drupal however was designed to be more content agnostic and can be
extended way more elegantly than Wordpress can ever be. Drupal is definitely
for a more functional site.

But if you just need something basic and simple Wordpress can meet your needs.
Just keep it up to date :)

On Aug 19, 2012, at 12:52 PM, l...@afan.net wrote:

> Hi to everyone,
> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I have read tons
> of articles that compare Drupal and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
> to either side.
> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both have
> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a steeper learning
> curve, but you get more control over the website.
> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are "emotionally" driven and it
> reminds me of the PC vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these as
> much as I could but it's hard.
>
> Is there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS' through
> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which cases is it better to use
> Drupal over WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are
> going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general (for small
> basic websites, more complex websites, easy customization, etc).
>
> I found this on one page: "... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
> multi-role system where you can assign different permissions to different
> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor, content reviewer,
> member, etc.) and assign users to these roles..." Does that mean that
> WordPress can't do that? Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
> is kind of misleading to say that one of the programs does something, and
> then not mention the other product at all.
>
> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the capability but I
> got impression Drupal does it better?) because of maintenance
> - compatibility with CiviCRM
>
> Once I decide what to use, I have to stick with it for a while.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> LAMP

Joomla.

Michael Shadle wrote:
> I suggest
Wordpress only for blogs or "brochureware" or basic page
based
> sites. It has security flaws often and I've had many sites
hacked and
> servers compromised because of it.
>
> Out of the box it is very easy to use and polished and has a lot of
themes
> available and is pretty easy to theme.
>
> I recommend Drupal for anything else. Out of the box it doesn't
do
> anything "very well" it provides the building
blocks to do a lot of things
> well with modules. It rarely has
security issues compared to Wordpress.

> It is much
more extensible than Wordpress. Anything using Wordpress for

forums, shopping carts or anything else is a gross misuse of the
original
> intention for Wordpress. Drupal however was designed to
be more content
> agnostic and can be extended way more elegantly
than Wordpress can ever
> be. Drupal is definitely for a more
functional site.

> But if you just need something basic
and simple Wordpress can meet your
> needs. Just keep it up to
date :)

l...@afan.net wrote:

>> Hi to everyone,
>> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I
have read
>> tons
>> of articles that compare Drupal
and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
>> to either side.
>> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both
have
>> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a
steeper learning
>> curve, but you get more control over the
website.
>> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are
"emotionally" driven and it
>> reminds me of the PC
vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these
>> as
>> much as I could but it's hard.
>>
>> Is
there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
>> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS'
through
>> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which
cases is it better to
>> use
>> Drupal over
WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are

going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general
(for small
>> basic websites, more complex websites, easy
customization, etc).

>> I found this on one page:
"... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
>> multi-role
system where you can assign different permissions to

different
>> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor,
content reviewer,
>> member, etc.) and assign users to these
roles..." Does that mean that
>> WordPress can't do that?
Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
>> is kind of
misleading to say that one of the programs does something,

and
>> then not mention the other product at all.
>>
>> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
>> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the
capability but
>> got impression Drupal does it
better?) because of maintenance
>> - compatibility with
CiviCRM

>> Once I decide what to use, I have to
stick with it for a while.

>> Thanks for any
help.

On 2012-08-19, at 3:52 PM, l...@afan.net wrote:

> Hi to everyone,
> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I have read tons
> of articles that compare Drupal and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
> to either side.
> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both have
> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a steeper learning
> curve, but you get more control over the website.
> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are "emotionally" driven and it
> reminds me of the PC vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these as
> much as I could but it's hard.
>
> Is there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS' through
> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which cases is it better to use
> Drupal over WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are
> going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general (for small
> basic websites, more complex websites, easy customization, etc).
>
> I found this on one page: "... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
> multi-role system where you can assign different permissions to different
> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor, content reviewer,
> member, etc.) and assign users to these roles..." Does that mean that
> WordPress can't do that? Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
> is kind of misleading to say that one of the programs does something, and
> then not mention the other product at all.
>
> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the capability but I
> got impression Drupal does it better?) because of maintenance
> - compatibility with CiviCRM
>
> Once I decide what to use, I have to stick with it for a while.
>
> Thanks for any help.

I think the one thing to remember is that Wordpress is at heart a blog. Drupal
is a CMS. There are some serious scaling issues with Wordpress that I have seen
that may become a issue for you.

One thing you didn't mention is site load ( # of users ) and what the goal of
the site is. If there are a number of essentially static pages and the rest of
the work done by civicCRM, then maybe just code those pages in HTML and leave
the rest to the civicCRM.

But i would, based on the info above, consider Drupal more so. The added
modules in drupal may make that choice worthwhile down the road

Bastien

If you are going to use something like joomla, use Drupal. Why bother. Drupal
is trending up and is used by large companies and governments. Joomla is hokey.
Yes this is going to spawn a religious debate. But joomla sucks. Sorry folks.

On Aug 19, 2012, at 2:31 PM, "Curtis Maurand" <cur...@maurand.com> wrote:

> [...]
> (for small
>>> basic websites, more complex websites, easy
> customization, etc).
>>>
>>> I found this on one page:
> "... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
>>> multi-role
> system where you can assign different permissions to
>>>
> different
>>> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor,
> content reviewer,
>>> member, etc.) and assign users to these
> roles..." Does that mean that
>>> WordPress can't do that?
> Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
>>> is kind of
> misleading to say that one of the programs does something,
>>>
> and
>>> then not mention the other product at all.
>>>
>>> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
>>> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219685/Site_builder_shootout_Drupal_vs._Joomla_vs._WordPress
Very good article IHMO.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM,  <l...@afan.net> wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219685/Site_builder_shootout_Drupal_vs._Joomla_vs._WordPress
> Very good article IHMO.
>

>> Hi to everyone,
>> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I have read tons
>> of articles that compare Drupal and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
>> to either side.
>> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both have
>> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a steeper learning
>> curve, but you get more control over the website.
>> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are "emotionally" driven and it
>> reminds me of the PC vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these as
>> much as I could but it's hard.
>>
>> Is there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
>> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS' through
>> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which cases is it better to use
>> Drupal over WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are
>> going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general (for small
>> basic websites, more complex websites, easy customization, etc).
>>
>> I found this on one page: "... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
>> multi-role system where you can assign different permissions to different
>> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor, content reviewer,
>> member, etc.) and assign users to these roles..." Does that mean that
>> WordPress can't do that? Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
>> is kind of misleading to say that one of the programs does something, and
>> then not mention the other product at all.
>>
>> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
>> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the capability but I
>> got impression Drupal does it better?) because of maintenance
>> - compatibility with CiviCRM
>>
>> Once I decide what to use, I have to stick with it for a while.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> LAMP
>>

>> --

Since both Drupal and Wordpress blather about not needed to know any
programming to use, I'm not much interested. I like wordpress for my
blogs, drupal has never felt compelling when I've delved into it.

On 8/19/2012 2:39 PM, Michael Shadle wrote:
Yes this is going to spawn a religious debate. But joomla sucks. Sorry folks.

1+

--
Jim Lucas
http://cmsws.com

On 8/17/2012 6:35 PM, Jim Giner wrote:
On 8/17/2012 7:16 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:

You could simply remove all full domain+path URL links and replace
them with absolute path urls only.

turn http://www.somedomain.com/path/to/my/webpage.html

into /path/to/my/webpage.html

This would work with either domain.

Those would be "relative paths", ..o?

No.

Quick Google search turns up this:

http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/decourses/dgm/2120/IN/steinja/lessons/06/06_04.html

I have three description or types of paths that I use normally.

I feel the first two generally get grouped together by most persons.

Full or complete path:

Absolute Path:

Relative:

--
Jim Lucas
http://cmsws.com

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Jim Lucas <li...@cmsws.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/2012 6:35 PM, Jim Giner wrote:
>>
>> On 8/17/2012 7:16 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:
>>>

>>> You could simply remove all full domain+path URL links and replace
>>> them with absolute path urls only.
>>>
>>> turn http://www.somedomain.com/path/to/my/webpage.html
>>>
>>> into /path/to/my/webpage.html
>>>
>>> This would work with either domain.
>>>
>> Those would be "relative paths", ..o?
>>

> No.
>
> Quick Google search turns up this:
>
> http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/decourses/dgm/2120/IN/steinja/lessons/06/06_04.html
>
> I have three description or types of paths that I use normally.
>
> I feel the first two generally get grouped together by most persons.
>
> Full or complete path:
>
> Absolute Path:
>
> Relative:
>
> --
> Jim Lucas
> http://cmsws.com

Actually, from what I've seen most people consider your first example
an absolute path and your last example relative. The middle example,
which you have called absolute, seems to be oft ignored in the
explanations I found in my own "quick Google search." Even the example
you cited seems to ignore the variant that you call an absolute path.
A page I found on About.com
(http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/a/aa040502a.htm)
does group the first two examples together as absolute paths, but the
definition of a URI on Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_resource_identifier) disagrees
-- under the section titled Examples of URI references, note this
example:

/relative/URI/with/absolute/path/to/resource.txt

The most authoritative resource I found was from the IETF (RFC 3986).
Section 4.3, as I understand it, says that an absolute URI includes
the scheme part (e.g. http, ftp, tel, mailto), which would imply that
your middle example is NOT an absolute path.

Andrew

CC to php-general.

thanks

--