php-general Digest 19 Sep 2012 01:57:54 -0000 Issue 7969

Re: Highlight Search Results
        319120 by: David OBrien
        319121 by: Samuel Lopes Grigolato
        319122 by: Floyd Resler

Re: How to limit source IP in PHP
        319123 by: Ian
        319124 by: Daniel Brown
        319125 by: Tonix (Antonio Nati)

Re: Programmers and developers needed
        319126 by: Matijn Woudt
        319127 by: Volmar Machado
        319128 by: Jim Giner
        319129 by: Matijn Woudt
        319130 by: Daevid Vincent
        319131 by: Matijn Woudt
        319132 by: Robert Cummings
        319133 by: Jeff Burcher
        319134 by: Robert Cummings
        319135 by: Paul M Foster
        319136 by: Ashley Sheridan

Re: Programmers and developers needed -- TiVo booooo!
        319137 by: Daevid Vincent

Re: PHP from ASP using AJAX?
        319138 by: Ross McKay

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Floyd Resler <fres...@adex-intl.com> wrote:

> I want to highlight the word searched in search results.  I know I can
use str_ireplace to do a case insensitive search and replace.  However, is
there an easy way to maintain the case of the word found when I do the
replace?

> Thanks!
> Floyd

function highlight($haystack,$needle)
{
$haystack=preg_replace("/($needle)/i","<span
style='font-weight:bold'>\${1}</span>",$haystack);
return $haystack;

If you're dealing with a high amount of search data, I highly advise you to
use something like SOLR. Match highlighting and a lot of other awesome
things is easy breeze with it.

Enviada em: terça-feira, 18 de setembro de 2012 09:37
Para: PHP
Assunto: [PHP] Highlight Search Results

On Sep 18, 2012, at 8:42 AM, David OBrien <dgobr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Floyd Resler <fres...@adex-intl.com> wrote:
> >
> > I want to highlight the word searched in search results.  I know I can use
> > str_ireplace to do a case insensitive search and replace.  However, is
> > there an easy way to maintain the case of the word found when I do the
> > replace?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Floyd
> >

> > --
> >
> function highlight($haystack,$needle)
> {
> $haystack=preg_replace("/($needle)/i","<span
> style='font-weight:bold'>\${1}</span>",$haystack);
> return $haystack;
> }

Perfect! Thanks!

On 14/09/2012 20:08, Curtis Maurand wrote:
> On 9/14/2012 7:20 AM, Ian wrote:
>> On 12/09/2012 14:53, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>>> Is there a way to force a PHP script to bind to a prefixed IP?
>>>
>>> Actually, while you can assign more IPs to Apache for listening,
>>> assigning domains to specific IPs, it looks like any PHP script can
>>> freely choose which IP to bind. Instead I'd love some domains are
>>> permitted to open connections only from the domain IP.
>>>
>>> In FreeBSD I do it easily, setting up dedicated jails for domains. But
>>> how to do it simply using PHP on Linux?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Tonino
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think its been established now that this cannot be done by any php
>> configuration so you will have to use other methods.
>>

>> You could configure iptables to only allow outgoing packets from
>> specific IPs using the 'owner' module:
>>
>> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO-7.html
>>
>>   (search for 'owner').
>>

>> There is also SELINUX.
>>

>> Or you could look at container based virtualisation like OpenVZ.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Ian
>
> 1. |if (function_exists('stream_context_create') &&
>    function_exists('stream_socket_client')) {|
> 2. |$socket_options = array('socket' => array('bindto' => '192.0.2.1:0'));|
> 3. |$socket_context = stream_context_create($socket_options);|
> 4. |$socket = stream_socket_client('ssl://xmlapi.example.org:9090',
>    $errno,|
> 5. |$errstr, 30, STREAM_CLIENT_CONNECT, $socket_context);|
> 6. |} else {|
> 7. |$socket = @fsockopen( "ssl://xmlapi.example.org" , 9090 , $errno ,
>    $errstr , 30 );|
> 8. |}|
>
> Google is your friend.

Hi Curtis,

I am suffering from sleep deprivation due to a new family addition and I
fail to see how your code will prevent a malicious user from binding to
an IP that I do not want him to.  It appears to be an example of how to
bind to an IP, not how to prevent it.

Could you please explain?

Regards

Ian

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Ian <php_l...@fishnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Curtis,
>
> I am suffering from sleep deprivation due to a new family addition and I
> fail to see how your code will prevent a malicious user from binding to
> an IP that I do not want him to.  It appears to be an example of how to
> bind to an IP, not how to prevent it.
>
> Could you please explain?

    Congrats on the new little one, Ian, and if you don't already
know, you're in for a long ride of sleepless nights.  Get used to it.

    That aside, please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss
that in greater detail, as it will go off-topic from and out of scope
of the originally-posted question.  Others subscribed to the thread
may not want to be bothered with the discussion, while others who are
ignoring the thread (thinking it's a long, drawn-out,
beating-a-dead-horse discussion) may never see a valuable discussion
take place.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager

Il 18/09/2012 16:24, Daniel Brown ha scritto:
[...]

Please, continue in this thread.

I do not see too how your suggestion can avoid malicious coding.

Regards,

Tonino

        Inter@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
   http://www.interazioni.it      to...@interazioni.it

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM, agbo onyador <onya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The growing power of the internet and global networks.
> (on the world’s politics, economies and even on daily life of ordinary
> people) Programmers and developers needed:
>

> Thanks

I still cannot figure out if this is a joke or if you're really
looking for world peace.. If you're serious, you might want to stop
and take a look at Newton's third law, I quote from wikipedia:
"When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body
simultaneously exerts a force F2 = −F1 on the first body. This means
that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.", or
simplified "To every action there is always an equal and opposite
reaction."
It fits also easily on humans, take one step into peace, and it will
have an effect in opposite direction elsewhere.

Also, why do you think you can make a better social network than the
already existing ones? Even the big internet giant Google can't seem
to make it's social network a big success, and you (without even an
concrete idea) can do that better?

You might as well just open a simple website with a 'Like' button and
ask everyone to like that page, so we end up with peace!:)

- Matijn

I guess that social structures didn't changed so much the last 10k
years. I also guess if we want peace at all. The people just need to
fight for something. Homogeneous world don't would bring heterogeneous
ideas. Anyway I hope that  you could do this, and become a great great
genius, that will ever shine in the history and future generations.

2012/9/18 Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM, agbo onyador <onya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The growing power of the internet and global networks.
>> (on the world's politics, economies and even on daily life of ordinary
>> people) Programmers and developers needed:
>>

>> Thanks
>>

> I still cannot figure out if this is a joke or if you're really
> looking for world peace.. If you're serious, you might want to stop
> and take a look at Newton's third law, I quote from wikipedia:
> "When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body
> simultaneously exerts a force F2 = -F1 on the first body. This means
> that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.", or
> simplified "To every action there is always an equal and opposite
> reaction."
> It fits also easily on humans, take one step into peace, and it will
> have an effect in opposite direction elsewhere.
>
> Also, why do you think you can make a better social network than the
> already existing ones? Even the big internet giant Google can't seem
> to make it's social network a big success, and you (without even an
> concrete idea) can do that better?
>
> You might as well just open a simple website with a 'Like' button and
> ask everyone to like that page, so we end up with peace!:)
>
> - Matijn

--- Begin Message --- How naive you are to think that technology will promote world peace. People promote world peace and all the technology in the world cannot help them. You want world peace - stop chasing the "easy solution" and go do something. Look at the great "social networks" of today - they amount to picture sharing , boring recitations of a day's activities and character bashing. This great evolution of social networking that you wish to develop will do nothing more than improve upon that.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Jim Giner <jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com> wrote:
> How naive you are to think that technology will promote world peace.  People
> promote world peace and all the technology in the world cannot help them.
> You want world peace - stop chasing the "easy solution" and go do something.
> Look at the great "social networks" of today - they amount to picture
> sharing ,  boring recitations of a day's activities and character bashing.
> This great evolution of social networking that you wish to develop will do
> nothing more than improve upon that.

You're missing the most important aspect of social networks.. Advertising.

> On 9/18/2012 12:58 PM, Volmar Machado wrote:
>>
>> I guess that social structures didn't changed so much the last 10k
>> years. I also guess if we want peace at all. The people just need to
>> fight for something. Homogeneous world don't would bring heterogeneous
>> ideas. Anyway I hope that  you could do this, and become a great great
>> genius, that will ever shine in the history and future generations.

>>> I still cannot figure out if this is a joke or if you're really
>>> looking for world peace.. If you're serious, you might want to stop
>>> and take a look at Newton's third law, I quote from wikipedia:
>>> "When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body
>>> simultaneously exerts a force F2 = -F1 on the first body. This means
>>> that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.", or
>>> simplified "To every action there is always an equal and opposite
>>> reaction."
>>> It fits also easily on humans, take one step into peace, and it will
>>> have an effect in opposite direction elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Also, why do you think you can make a better social network than the
>>> already existing ones? Even the big internet giant Google can't seem
>>> to make it's social network a big success, and you (without even an
>>> concrete idea) can do that better?
>>>
>>> You might as well just open a simple website with a 'Like' button and
>>> ask everyone to like that page, so we end up with peace!:)
>>>
>>> - Matijn
>>>
>>> --

Please tell me that is said sarcastically. Advertising is the cancer of the
internet. There was a time when there weren't ad banners, interstitials,
pop-ups, pop-unders, spam, and all the other bullshit you have to sift through
on a daily basis.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Daevid Vincent <dae...@daevid.com> wrote:
> [...]

No,  I was not meant to be sarcastic. You might find advertising to be
the cancer of the internet, think again. The internet would be pretty
much dead without ads, or would you rather pay $0.01 per Google search
query? $0.01 for each e-mail send, $0.01 for each news article you
want to read, etc, etc? (or more related, $0.01 for each facebook
message you want to send/read?)

In the end, good advertising means success, take the drop of facebook
shares because of the investors being worried about facebooks'
advertising possibilities.

- Matijn

On 12-09-18 02:12 PM, Matijn Woudt wrote:
[...]

History suggests the internet would be here without advertising since it originated without advertising, originally grew without advertising, and finally evolved into this mixed blessing we have today. There's plenty of greatness on the internet, there's also plenty of steaming piles of manure.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.

Yeah, it grew out of government funding before advertising via educational
institutions and the military. Would you rather have a free economy supported
internet or a government controlled internet? Also, for those of us who are old
enough to remember posting to text based bulletin boards, the influx of
corporate money has greatly increased the infrastructure and functionality of
the internet and has helped to make it a global phenomenon, which a government
supported internet may have never become. Money makes all things possible. If
you don't think so, try building a server farm and hooking up to a trunk line
without it. My two cents. Now, I'm broke.

Jeff

You're missing the most important aspect of social networks..
Advertising.

Please tell me that is said sarcastically. Advertising is the cancer of the
internet. There was a time when there weren't ad banners, interstitials, pop-
ups, pop-unders, spam, and all the other bullshit you have to sift through on
a daily basis.

No,  I was not meant to be sarcastic. You might find advertising to be
the cancer of the internet, think again. The internet would be pretty
much dead without ads, or would you rather pay $0.01 per Google search
query? $0.01 for each e-mail send, $0.01 for each news article you
want to read, etc, etc? (or more related, $0.01 for each facebook
message you want to send/read?)

In the end, good advertising means success, take the drop of facebook
shares because of the investors being worried about facebooks'
advertising possibilities.

History suggests the internet would be here without advertising since it
originated without advertising, originally grew without advertising, and finally
evolved into this mixed blessing we have today. There's plenty of greatness
on the internet, there's also plenty of steaming piles of manure.

Cheers,
Rob.

Yeah, it grew out of government funding before advertising via educational
> institutions and the military. Would you rather have a free economy
> supported internet or a government controlled internet? Also, for those
> of us who are old enough to remember posting to text based bulletin boards, > the influx of corporate money has greatly increased the infrastructure and > functionality of the internet and has helped to make it a global phenomenon, > which a government supported internet may have never become. Money makes all
things possible. If you don't think so, try building a server farm and
> hooking up to a trunk line without it. My two cents. Now, I'm broke.

You're making me wax philosophical... Money doesn't make all things possible. Time and energy make all things possible. Money is just a convenient placeholder for time and energy.

At any rate, you're making the assumption that advertising was a necessary ingredient. It was not... nor does it's absence guarantee a government controlled internet. You have a logical fallacy in your argument above, but I'm too lazy to look up which one (or which ones), but I can smell it (them) ;)

Cheers,
Rob.
--

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:02:41AM -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> > -----Original Message----- From: Matijn Woudt
> > [mailto:tijn...@gmail.com]
> >
> > You're missing the most important aspect of social networks..
> > Advertising.
>
> Please tell me that is said sarcastically. Advertising is the cancer
> of the internet. There was a time when there weren't ad banners,
> interstitials, pop-ups, pop-unders, spam, and all the other bullshit
> you have to sift through on a daily basis.

I might add to this that one of the reasons I switched to using Google
for internet searches many years ago was precisely this. All the other
search portals at the time blasted you with ads. Google's search page
was just a blank and the name Google, much as it is now. (Though I think
Google has now become its own kind of evil.)

And now I'm seeing more and more pop-up ads on websites all the time.
I'm trying to read content and every little while I have to banish some
pop-up or another. Grrr.

Here's another massive evil: Web pages that take forever to load. Why?
Because they have ads and other content being served up from other
sites. It takes forever for the page to fully paint because of
congestion at *other* sites which are supposed to be serving up
content/ads to the page I'm visiting. Yeah, that's not annoying or
anything. In fact, I've gone so far as to force my computer/browser to
believe most common providers of ad content are localhost, making
most requests for ad content yield 404 errors.

I bought TiVo partially so I could skip ads. I've revelled in it every
day since. I can watch an hour-long program in 47 minutes. (Though this
is a sad commentary on television and cable content providers.)

Yes, ads are Evil(tm).

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 16:36 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:02:41AM -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
>
> > > -----Original Message----- From: Matijn Woudt
> > > [mailto:tijn...@gmail.com]
> > >
> > > You're missing the most important aspect of social networks..
> > > Advertising.
> >
> > Please tell me that is said sarcastically. Advertising is the cancer
> > of the internet. There was a time when there weren't ad banners,
> > interstitials, pop-ups, pop-unders, spam, and all the other bullshit
> > you have to sift through on a daily basis.
>
> I might add to this that one of the reasons I switched to using Google
> for internet searches many years ago was precisely this. All the other
> search portals at the time blasted you with ads. Google's search page
> was just a blank and the name Google, much as it is now. (Though I think
> Google has now become its own kind of evil.)
>
> And now I'm seeing more and more pop-up ads on websites all the time.
> I'm trying to read content and every little while I have to banish some
> pop-up or another. Grrr.
>
> Here's another massive evil: Web pages that take forever to load. Why?
> Because they have ads and other content being served up from other
> sites. It takes forever for the page to fully paint because of
> congestion at *other* sites which are supposed to be serving up
> content/ads to the page I'm visiting. Yeah, that's not annoying or
> anything. In fact, I've gone so far as to force my computer/browser to
> believe most common providers of ad content are localhost, making
> most requests for ad content yield 404 errors.
>
> I bought TiVo partially so I could skip ads. I've revelled in it every
> day since. I can watch an hour-long program in 47 minutes. (Though this
> is a sad commentary on television and cable content providers.)
>
> Yes, ads are Evil(tm).
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster
> http://noferblatz.com
> http://quillandmouse.com

One of the most annoying types of ads I see these days is the full page
image link behind everything else on the page (so it looks like a
clickable background); and you click on a part of the window to give it
focus, and BAM, a new tab opens up for some crappy ad. Not only do I
have to wait for a huge image to load, but I also have to deal with some
rubbish site in a new tab :-/

--
Thanks,
Ash

Not to tangent too far here, but I'm about ready to cancel my TiVo. I've
been with them since 1999. It infuriates me to no end that they too are now
shoving their stupid ad banners into the GUI menu. I've even seen
commercials that had the "thumbs up" icon in the upper corner to "learn
more". I see the same "Bounty Paper Towels" logo in my TiVo GUI everywhere.
Don't get me started on their made-for-dumb-users crapy GUI and the
unbearably slow navigation. UGHHGHGHH!!!

I pay these bastards $15/mo basically for a TV guide. Because let's face it,
without the guide, the DVR is pretty useless.

I have a Windows7 MCE in my living room with the Ceton InfiniTV PCIe board
and this is the best PVR/DVR I have ever seen/used (and I tried many from
Myth, XBMC, MCE2005, others that are now defunct). WELL worth the initial
cost to build. Works flawlessly. 4 HD streams (per card)! No monthly fees.
Full HTPC experience with plugins even (weather, RSS, movies, etc.)
http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

I was just approved to be on the beta testing team for the Echo due out by
year's end. I should have my testing box by month's end. Once that happens
and this thing works as I think it will (given the awesomeness of their
other products), the TiVo Premier in my bedroom will make a great backstop
for my AR-15 .223 rounds (and I will enjoy pumping that thing full of lead)
http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

> Yes, ads are Evil(tm).

Amen. And the punishment for mass spammers should be death. I am not even
joking. It would stop quicker than a failed Nigerian phishing scam.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:03:55 -0700, Girish Talluru wrote:

>Can we able to call PHP script from ASP using AJAX?

Yup.

If you're talking about Classic ASP (VBScript) then here's a few
examples. They talk about WordPress, but really any PHP service will
work the same.

http://snippets.webaware.com.au/snippets/integrating-classic-asp-with-wordpress-using-ajax/
( http://goo.gl/rHlgF )
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"