php-general Digest 6 Oct 2012 08:43:25 -0000 Issue 7995

Re: Friday - Return of Brain Teasers
        319375 by: Richard S. Crawford
        319376 by: Steven Staples
        319377 by: Jonathan Sundquist
        319378 by: Timmy Sjöstedt
        319379 by: Timmy Sjöstedt
        319380 by: Maciek Sokolewicz
        319382 by: Tamara Temple
        319383 by: Stefan Wixfort

Re: Differences
        319381 by: Tamara Temple

Christopher Walken? Is that you?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Daniel Brown <danbr...@php.net> wrote:

>     About five-and-a-half years ago, we had a brainteasers thread
> going on[1].  Last year it was briefly resurrected[2], and both times
> got some good content and dialogue going.  So I'd like to reprise the
> thread in 2012, as well.  Those of you connected to me on Facebook
> (parasane) or Twitter (@oidk) might already have seen it, but a simple
> one to get things rolling:
>
>         <?php require ++$cowbell; ?>
>
> --
> </Daniel P. Brown>
> Network Infrastructure Manager
> http://www.php.net/

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (rich...@underpope.com)
http://www.underpope.com
Publisher and Editor in Chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)

> Subject: [PHP] Friday - Return of Brain Teasers
>
>     About five-and-a-half years ago, we had a brainteasers thread going
> on[1].  Last year it was briefly resurrected[2], and both times got some
> good content and dialogue going.  So I'd like to reprise the thread in
> 2012, as well.  Those of you connected to me on Facebook
> (parasane) or Twitter (@oidk) might already have seen it, but a simple one
> to get things rolling:
>
>         <?php require ++$cowbell; ?>

Is this supposed to execute to anything?

I got this:

Warning: require(1) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file
or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\cowbell.php on line 1

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '1'
(include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\cowbell.php on line
1

--  I do know what it means, just thought maybe there was something more
significant to it than this...
"Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription...is more cow bell"

It means we require more cowbell.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Steven Staples <sstap...@mnsi.net> wrote:

> > Subject: [PHP] Friday - Return of Brain Teasers
> >
> >     About five-and-a-half years ago, we had a brainteasers thread going
> > on[1].  Last year it was briefly resurrected[2], and both times got some
> > good content and dialogue going.  So I'd like to reprise the thread in
> > 2012, as well.  Those of you connected to me on Facebook
> > (parasane) or Twitter (@oidk) might already have seen it, but a simple
> one
> > to get things rolling:
> >
> >         <?php require ++$cowbell; ?>
> >

> Is this supposed to execute to anything?
>
> I got this:
>
> Warning: require(1) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file
> or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\cowbell.php on line 1
>
> Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '1'
> (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\cowbell.php on line
> 1
>

> --  I do know what it means, just thought maybe there was something more
> significant to it than this...
> "Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription...is more cow bell"

That just sounds like a pun than anything else though.

We require new Brainteaser;

Subject: [PHP] Friday - Return of Brain Teasers

[...]

If you want to execute some code...

I'm sure you've all heard of the new "goes to" operator by now, but I hope it might be new to somebody.

  $i = 10;
  while ($i --> 0) { // while $i goes to 0
    echo $i ."\n";
  }

On 05-10-2012 22:50, iostream wrote:
If you want to execute some code...

I'm sure you've all heard of the new "goes to" operator by now, but I
hope it might be new to somebody.

   $i = 10;
   while ($i --> 0) { // while $i goes to 0
     echo $i ."\n";
   }

Haha, nice one :)

Also: don't toppost on this list.

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 22:50 +0200, iostream wrote:
> If you want to execute some code...
>
> I'm sure you've all heard of the new "goes to" operator by now, but I
> hope it might be new to somebody.
>
>    $i = 10;
>    while ($i --> 0) { // while $i goes to 0
>      echo $i ."\n";
>    }

Okay, I haven't heard of it, and I don't get it. AFAIK, this "operator"
does not exist, but I don't get the trick that's being applied.

On 06.10.2012 03:08, Tamara Temple wrote:
On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 22:50 +0200, iostream wrote:
If you want to execute some code...

I'm sure you've all heard of the new "goes to" operator by now, but I
hope it might be new to somebody.

    $i = 10;
    while ($i --> 0) { // while $i goes to 0
      echo $i ."\n";
    }

Okay, I haven't heard of it, and I don't get it. AFAIK, this "operator"
does not exist, but I don't get the trick that's being applied.

while ($i-- > 0)

should clearify things

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 18:06 -0400, Jim Giner wrote:
> I've read thru 9 responses to the OP and not one of you mentioned that
> the code presented is problematic in itself.  Very forgiving, but
> perhaps someone should have suggested that he post "actual code" when
> looking for help in the future, and not some typing that is supposed to
> represent the problem.
>
> In this case, I"m looking for the function he called
> "completeImageFilename"
>
> :):)

You might have missed mine: