php-general Digest 21 Nov 2012 10:30:23 -0000 Issue 8049

Re: globbed includes?
        319745 by: Shawn McKenzie

Encode e-mail text in UTF-8
        319746 by: MC
        319748 by: Inigo Medina
        319750 by: MC

Re: Date comparison going wrong, wrong, wrong
        319747 by: Jim Lucas
        319749 by: Terry Ally (Gmail)

> There are certain times I'd like to include all files in a given
> directory (such as configuration stuff that is split out by type, a la
> apache conf.d). Anyone have something handy that implements that?

Just for fun:

array_walk(glob('*.php'), function($arg) { include($arg); });

Hi,

what is the recommended way to encode e-mail text in UTF-8?

When the site were running in a single byte code page like iso-8859-2 I were happy with the imap_8bit function and quoted-printable encoding of e-mails. However, the function does not seem to work correctly for multi-byte code pages like UTF-8.

I have tried to search for alternatives but failed to find anything useful.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

MC

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, MC wrote:

Hi,

what is the recommended way to encode e-mail text in UTF-8?

When the site were running in a single byte code page like iso-8859-2 I were happy with the imap_8bit function and quoted-printable encoding of e-mails. However, the function does not seem to work correctly for multi-byte code pages like UTF-8.

Did you use header 'Content-Type:text/html;charset=utf-8' on the email?

iñ

I have tried to search for alternatives but failed to find anything useful.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

MC

what is the recommended way to encode e-mail text in UTF-8?

When the site were running in a single byte code page like iso-8859-2
I were happy with the imap_8bit function and quoted-printable encoding
of e-mails. However, the function does not seem to work correctly for
multi-byte code pages like UTF-8.

Did you use header 'Content-Type:text/html;charset=utf-8' on the email?

No, I am using text/plain content-type, more specifically:

The result e-mail looks like the following (I've replaced all english letters with just x):
xxxxý xxxx

x xříxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxěxx x xxxx=xxx xx xxxxxí xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx x xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

x xxxxx=xxx

xxxxxáxx xxxáxxx

The raw encoded version of the above text is the following:
xxxx=C3=BD xxxx=0A=
=0A=
x x=C5=99=C3=ADxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx xx=C4=9Bxx x xxxx=3Dxxx xx xxxxx=C3=AD=
 xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx x xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx=0A=
=0A=
x xxxxx=3Dxxx=0A=
=0A=
xxxxx=C3=A1xx xxx=C3=A1xxx=

The first "=" ("=3D") should be "f" and the second "a".

Or you think it might be a bug in the imap_8bit or imap_mail_compose function? Parts/attachements which are rendered as BASE64 are not being malformed, just the quoted printable ones.

Thanks,

MC

On 11/12/2012 02:06 AM, Duken Marga wrote:
Try this:

$todaydate = strtotime(date("D, M jS, Y g:i:s a"));
$showenddate = strtotime(date("D, M jS, Y g:i:s a",
strtotime($showsRecord['end_date'])));

Won't this give you the same results without the extra conversion steps?

$todaydate = date("U");
$showenddate = strtotime($showsRecord['end_date']);

if ($todaydate<  $showenddate):
     echo "The date of the show has not yet arrived";
else:
     echo "The show has ended";
endif;

You must convert both $todaydate and $showendate with strtotime() function,
then you can compare them.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Terry Ally (Gmail)<terrya...@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi all,

I am having a problem with comparing time. I am using the following:

$todaydate = date("D, M jS, Y g:i:s a");
$showenddate = date("D, M jS, Y g:i:s a",
strtotime($showsRecord['end_date']));

if ($todaydate>  $showenddate):
     echo "The date of the show has not yet arrived";
else:
     echo "The show has ended";
endif;

The problem that I am encountering is that PHP is rendering the reverse of
the equation. For example:

If today's date is *11 Nov 2012* and the show's end date is *18 Nov 2012*,
the message that I am getting is *the show has ended* which is wrong. A
test example is at http://www.lakesidesurrey.co.uk/test.php.

You can also me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Terry

--
Jim Lucas

http://www.cmsws.com/
http://www.cmsws.com/examples/

It's a nice shortcut Jim. Never considered that.

Thanks.

--
*Terry Ally*
Twitter.com/terryally