php-general Digest 19 Feb 2013 00:54:12 -0000 Issue 8128

Affordable low-fee e-commerce - DIY?
        320236 by: George Langley
        320237 by: Adam Richardson
        320238 by: Tedd Sperling
        320239 by: Larry Martell

parsing  select multiple="multiple"
        320240 by: John Taylor-Johnston

Hi all. Am wanting to build a site where people can donate $1.00 but is not for
charity or other non-profit per se. So if I use PayPal, with their 2.9% + .30
per transaction fee, that equals .33 cents for each dollar - that's a full
third of the amount the people would be giving. Credit cards appear to be
similar, with some percantage and about .22 cents per transactions.
Am wondering what other options I'm missing, that won't take such a chunk out
of the low price? Is it easy enough to code to some other API for free (or at
least cheaper)?
Thanks.

George Langley
Interactive Developer

www.georgelangley.ca

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, George Langley <george.lang...@shaw.ca>wrote:

> Hi all. Am wanting to build a site where people can donate $1.00 but is
> not for charity or other non-profit per se. So if I use PayPal, with their
> 2.9% + .30 per transaction fee, that equals .33 cents for each dollar -
> that's a full third of the amount the people would be giving. Credit cards
> appear to be similar, with some percantage and about .22 cents per
> transactions.
> Am wondering what other options I'm missing, that won't take such a chunk
> out of the low price? Is it easy enough to code to some other API for free
> (or at least cheaper)?
> Thanks.

Not really a PHP question, but just FYI, Paypal and other providers provide
micropayments options:
https://www.paypalobjects.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_micropayments.html

Adam

--
Nephtali:  A simple, flexible, fast, and security-focused PHP framework
http://nephtaliproject.com

On Feb 18, 2013, at 1:26 PM, George Langley <george.lang...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi all. Am wanting to build a site where people can donate $1.00 but is not
> for charity or other non-profit per se. So if I use PayPal, with their 2.9% +
> .30 per transaction fee, that equals .33 cents for each dollar - that's a
> full third of the amount the people would be giving. Credit cards appear to
> be similar, with some percantage and about .22 cents per transactions.
> Am wondering what other options I'm missing, that won't take such a chunk out
> of the low price? Is it easy enough to code to some other API for free (or at
> least cheaper)?
> Thanks.
>

> George Langley
> Interactive Developer

I don't have any problems with people paying me via PayPal -- PayPal provides a
service and they deserve a piece of the action.

In fact, I never have problems with people donating $5 to my cause (me) via my
site -- and it happens. For example, I had one guy donate $100.

I'm waiting for someone to better that. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

_____________________
t...@sperling.com
http://sperling.com

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, George Langley <george.lang...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi all. Am wanting to build a site where people can donate $1.00 but is not
> for charity or other non-profit per se. So if I use PayPal, with their 2.9% +
> .30 per transaction fee, that equals .33 cents for each dollar - that's a
> full third of the amount the people would be giving. Credit cards appear to
> be similar, with some percantage and about .22 cents per transactions.
> Am wondering what other options I'm missing, that won't take such a chunk out
> of the low price? Is it easy enough to code to some other API for free (or at
> least cheaper)?

Doesn't paypal only charge when someone pays with a credit card? If
they pay out of their bank account there is no charge to the
recipient.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I am capable with <select name="DPRpriority">. (I suppose I did it correctly? :p ) But I haven't the first clue how to parse a <select multiple> and multiply select name="DPRtype".
Would anyone give me a couple of clues please? :)
Thanks,
John

<option value="1" <?php if ($_POST["DPRpriority"] == "1") {echo "selected";} ?>>1</option> <option value="2" <?php if ($_POST["DPRpriority"] == "2") {echo "selected";} ?>>2</option> <option value="3" <?php if ($_POST["DPRpriority"] == "3") {echo "selected";} ?>>3</option>
             <option value="4" <?php
             if (empty($_POST["DPRpriority"])) {echo "selected";}
if ($_POST["DPRpriority"] == "4") {echo "selected";} ?>>4</option>
           </select>

           <select multiple="multiple" name="DPRtype" form="DPRform">
<option value="1. Crimes Against Persons">1. Crimes Against Persons</option>
             <option value="2. Disturbances">2. Disturbances</option>
             <option value="9. Alarms">9. Alarms</option>
           </select>