php-general Digest 5 Aug 2013 03:24:04 -0000 Issue 8322

Re: how to see all sessions sets in server
        321784 by: Matijn Woudt
        321785 by: Farzan Dalaee
        321786 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321791 by: Tim Streater
        321792 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321793 by: Farzan Dalaee
        321795 by: Stuart Dallas
        321796 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321797 by: Matijn Woudt
        321798 by: Farzan Dalaee
        321799 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321801 by: Paul M Foster

What the hell is Begacom?
        321787 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321788 by: Lester Caine
        321789 by: Ashley Sheridan
        321790 by: Camilo Sperberg
        321794 by: lester.lsces.co.uk
        321800 by: Jonesy

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Farzan Dalaee <farzan.dal...@gmail.com>wrote:

> hi
> i want to write online user module for my site and i want to check
> $_SESSION['userID'] to find all users id who loged in
> but when i echo this code its return only current user detail
> how i can see all sessions?
>
> foreach($_SESSION as $k => $v)
> {
> echo $k."----------".$v;
> }
>  or how i handle online users?

You can only access sessions when you know the session id.
Most sites handle online users in their database, store a timestamp each
time a user loads a page. When you want to display the online users, check
where the timestamp is between now and a few minutes ago. Note that without
javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is no way to truly know if the user
left or not. The session will stay active for a long time, depending on
your php.ini settings.

- Matijn

You mean when user logged in i add new record to table and when logged out i
delete the row? So if user close the browser without logout how can i find user
is online or not?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 14:56 +0430, Farzan Dalaee wrote:

> You mean when user logged in i add new record to table and when logged out i
> delete the row? So if user close the browser without logout how can i find
> user is online or not?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 4, 2013, at 14:44, Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Farzan Dalaee <farzan.dal...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> hi
> >> i want to write online user module for my site and i want to check
> >> $_SESSION['userID'] to find all users id who loged in
> >> but when i echo this code its return only current user detail
> >> how i can see all sessions?
> >>
> >> foreach($_SESSION as $k => $v)
> >> {
> >> echo $k."----------".$v;
> >> }
> >>  or how i handle online users?
> >
> > You can only access sessions when you know the session id.
> > Most sites handle online users in their database, store a timestamp each
> > time a user loads a page. When you want to display the online users, check
> > where the timestamp is between now and a few minutes ago. Note that without
> > javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is no way to truly know if the user
> > left or not. The session will stay active for a long time, depending on
> > your php.ini settings.
> >
> > - Matijn

Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method to
continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed their
browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they don't
work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.

You don't have to actually save anything to the DB manually, just
instruct PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.

Do you really need to inspect each visitors session in detail, or do you
just need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the site at
any one time?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

On 04 Aug 2013 at 11:28, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method to
> continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed their
> browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they don't
> work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.

onbeforeunload works fine in Safari; I use it all the time.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 13:27 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 04 Aug 2013 at 11:28, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method to
> > continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed their
> > browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they don't
> > work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.
>
> onbeforeunload works fine in Safari; I use it all the time.
>
> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Apparently it has problems when browsing in "porn" mode, and mobile
safari has major problems with it. I'm basing this on previous posts on
forums I've been on, so it might have been fixed now, but I don't know
for sure either way.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

> On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 14:56 +0430, Farzan Dalaee wrote:
>>
>> You mean when user logged in i add new record to table and when logged out i
>> delete the row? So if user close the browser without logout how can i find
>> user is online or not?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Aug 4, 2013, at 14:44, Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You can only access sessions when you know the session id.
>> > Most sites handle online users in their database, store a timestamp each
>> > time a user loads a page. When you want to display the online users, check
>> > where the timestamp is between now and a few minutes ago. Note that
>> > without javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is no way to truly know if
>> > the user left or not. The session will stay active for a long time,
>> > depending on your php.ini settings.
>> >
>> > - Matijn
>> >

> Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method to
> continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed their
> browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they don't work
> correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.
>
> You don't have to actually save anything to the DB manually, just instruct
> PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.
>
> Do you really need to inspect each visitors session in detail, or do you just
> need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the site at any one
> time?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for chat
Like facebook chat

On 4 Aug 2013, at 14:36, Farzan Dalaee <farzan.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for chat
> Like facebook chat

PHP sessions is a really bad mechanism to use to accomplish this. In the past
I've used memcached or redis for presence indicators. Both allow you to set
keys that expire after a set period. The problem with this is that a user can
appear to be online for up to "set period" seconds longer than they actually
are.

In the system I'm currently building I've got a node.js daemon to which the
browser connects. That daemon exposes an API that the rest of the system can
call to get lists of online users, which is easily gathered since it's just the
list of connected users. There is then no delay between the browser closing the
connection and the daemon deciding that user is no longer online.

If you have a chat system I'm curious as to how it works, since presence is
usually tied closely to how the client is detecting new messages.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

Farzan Dalaee <farzan.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 14:56 +0430, Farzan Dalaee wrote:
>>>
>>> You mean when user logged in i add new record to table and when
>logged out i delete the row? So if user close the browser without
>logout how can i find user is online or not?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>check

>timestamp each time a user loads a page. When you want to display the
>online users, check where the timestamp is between now and a few
>minutes ago. Note that without javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is
>no way to truly know if the user left or not. The session will stay
>active for a long time, depending on your php.ini settings.

>> Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method
>to continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed
>their browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they
>don't work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.
>>
>> You don't have to actually save anything to the DB manually, just
>instruct PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.
>>
>> Do you really need to inspect each visitors session in detail, or do
>you just need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the
>site at any one time?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>>

>I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for
>chat
>Like facebook chat

Ah, so you don't need to see the details of the sessions then. Facebook does
this (badly) by using javascript on the client side which triggers an update of
a timestamp on the server, which then allows you to determine who is online (or
was within a given time limit)
Thanks,
Ash

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> Farzan Dalaee <farzan.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >logged out i delete the row? So if user close the browser without
> >logout how can i find user is online or not?

> >check

> >timestamp each time a user loads a page. When you want to display the
> >online users, check where the timestamp is between now and a few
> >minutes ago. Note that without javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is
> >no way to truly know if the user left or not. The session will stay
> >active for a long time, depending on your php.ini settings.

> >> Like Matijn said, unless you're using some kind of client-side method
> >to continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed
> >their browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they
> >don't work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.
> >>
> >> You don't have to actually save anything to the DB manually, just
> >instruct PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.
> >>
> >> Do you really need to inspect each visitors session in detail, or do
> >you just need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the
> >site at any one time?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ash
> >> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >>

> >I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for
> >chat
> >Like facebook chat
> >>

> Ah, so you don't need to see the details of the sessions then. Facebook
> does this (badly) by using javascript on the client side which triggers an
> update of a timestamp on the server, which then allows you to determine who
> is online (or was within a given time limit)
> Thanks,
> Ash

Maybe it's bad, but there's no good alternative, except sending ping
requests to your server every second or so, but any site as large as
Facebook will DDOS itself when using things like that ;)

- Matijn

> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>
> wrote:

>> >logged out i delete the row? So if user close the browser without
>> >logout how can i find user is online or not?

>> >check

>> >timestamp each time a user loads a page. When you want to display the
>> >online users, check where the timestamp is between now and a few
>> >minutes ago. Note that without javascript (or flash/java/etc) there is
>> >no way to truly know if the user left or not. The session will stay
>> >active for a long time, depending on your php.ini settings.

>> >to continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just closed
>> >their browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but they
>> >don't work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.

>> >instruct PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.

>> >you just need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the
>> >site at any one time?

>> >I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for
>> >chat
>> >Like facebook chat
>> >>

>> Ah, so you don't need to see the details of the sessions then. Facebook does
>> this (badly) by using javascript on the client side which triggers an update
>> of a timestamp on the server, which then allows you to determine who is
>> online (or was within a given time limit)
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>
> Maybe it's bad, but there's no good alternative, except sending ping requests
> to your server every second or so, but any site as large as Facebook will
> DDOS itself when using things like that ;)
>
> - Matijn

So best way is use a script(javascript) to send ajax to server every 5 second
to check users is logged in or not? Is that okey?
I want to write chat module like facebook and i need a solution to find online
users and way to send messages when users chat together, does any one write
similar module like that?

Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Ashley Sheridan
><a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

>> >logged out i delete the row? So if user close the browser without
>> >logout how can i find user is online or not?

>> >check

>> >timestamp each time a user loads a page. When you want to display
>the
>> >online users, check where the timestamp is between now and a few
>> >minutes ago. Note that without javascript (or flash/java/etc) there
>is
>> >no way to truly know if the user left or not. The session will stay
>> >active for a long time, depending on your php.ini settings.

>method
>> >to continually poll the server, you can't know if they've just
>closed
>> >their browser. There are Javascript events for exiting a page, but
>they
>> >don't work correctly on Safari and iOS Safari.

>> >instruct PHP to use the DB for its own sessions, rather than files.

>do
>> >you just need a way to determine how many unique visitors are on the
>> >site at any one time?

>> >I need to inspect each visitor to show how online or who offline for
>> >chat
>> >Like facebook chat
>> >>

>> Ah, so you don't need to see the details of the sessions then.
>Facebook
>> does this (badly) by using javascript on the client side which
>triggers an
>> update of a timestamp on the server, which then allows you to
>determine who
>> is online (or was within a given time limit)
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>>

>Maybe it's bad, but there's no good alternative, except sending ping
>requests to your server every second or so, but any site as large as
>Facebook will DDOS itself when using things like that ;)
>
>- Matijn

I'm not saying the method is bad, but the way Facebook does it isn't great, I'm
constantly seeing people online who "sign out" when I open up a message box.
Now that might be genuine, but I'm not *that* unpopular!

Thanks,
Ash

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 05:58:53PM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not saying the method is bad, but the way Facebook does it isn't
> great, I'm constantly seeing people online who "sign out" when I open
> up a message box. Now that might be genuine, but I'm not *that*
> unpopular!

I'm sorry. Were you saying something? As soon as I saw "Ashley Sheridan"
in my email client, it closed and my computer rebooted for some strange
reason. ;-}

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com

And why everytime I reply to the list am I getting an automated reply
from this email address

Belgacom Webteam [no-reply] <supp...@skynet.be>

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
And why everytime I reply to the list am I getting an automated reply
from this email address

Belgacom Webteam [no-reply]<supp...@skynet.be>

Because of the way the list is set up ...
We all get every bounce message as a result of posting to PHP lists since WE are set as the reply-to address. This apparently is the right way of doing email lists ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 12:27 +0100, Lester Caine wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > And why everytime I reply to the list am I getting an automated reply
> > from this email address
> >
> > Belgacom Webteam [no-reply]<supp...@skynet.be>
>
> Because of the way the list is set up ...
> We all get every bounce message as a result of posting to PHP lists since WE
> are
> set as the reply-to address. This apparently is the right way of doing email
> lists ;)
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL
> -----------------------------
> Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
> Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

Maybe someone can take them off of the list? ;)

(hint, hint)

On 4 aug. 2013, at 12:51, Ashley Sheridan <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> And why everytime I reply to the list am I getting an automated reply
> from this email address
>
> Belgacom Webteam [no-reply] <supp...@skynet.be>
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

So that's why I was getting those emails as well xD

Sent from my iPhone 6 Beta [Confidential use only]

Maybe someone can take them off of the list? ;)
(hint, hint)

No one moderates the list so there is little chance :(

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:02:07 +0200, Camilo Sperberg wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone 6 Beta [Confidential use only]

You need not apologize.         :-)