Hello Shane,

(SR == "Shane Reid") [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

SR> I reconfigured php with ./configure
SR> --with-mysql=/usr/local/etc/mysql
SR> --with-apxs=/usr/local/etc/apache/bin/apxs and apache will no
SR> longer start. I removed the path from the mysql to get the
SR> webserver back up but my question was why would it not be able to
SR> find libmysqlclient.so.10 (error down below). The file is located
SR> at /usr/local/etc/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10 ... any
SR> reason its not picking up the fact that its there when I pointed
SR> it to the directory I told mysql to install to?

I don't know if this is your problem for sure, but here goes..

configure says:

for i in lib lib/mysql; do

  str="$MYSQL_DIR/$i/libmysqlclient.*"
  for j in `echo $str`; do
    if test -r $j; then
      MYSQL_LIB_DIR="$MYSQL_DIR/$i"
      break 2
    fi
  done

  done

  if test -z "$MYSQL_LIB_DIR"; then
    { echo "configure: error: Cannot find mysqlclient library under $MYSQL_DIR" 1>&2;
exit 1; }
  fi

So it's checking /usr/local/etc/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.* and
/usr/local/etc/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.*

And it didn't spit out:

"configure: error: Cannot find mysqlclient library under
/usr/local/etc/mysql"

Right?

Then it obviously found it, which prompted you to start Apache.

SR> Cannot load /usr/local/etc/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
SR> Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

Try sticking the path to that library (/usr/local/etc/mysql/lib/mysql) into
ld.so.conf and run ldconfig once as root.

Then build php with mysql support again and start apache.

I find myself saying this a lot <g>, but see if that fixes it.

SR> -Shane

Maybe someone else will pipe up here soon with a definite answer if
that doesn't fix your problem.

-Brian
--
The end of the day is near when small men make long shadows.