> I left the php list a few years ago when I lost the clients who wanted
> (could afford) php scripts (I'm still using 2.12b..lol).  Several
> scripts are still running well after all these years.

You probably should consider upgrading...

> Now, I'm building an online programming resume for myself and using
> php/msql to track potential employers as they visit.  I'm using a cookie
> to set a visitor id, then I read the cookie on each page and make
> database updates to track page/timeonpage visiting sequence.

And switch to MySQL while you're at it.  mSQL is not much maintained, last I
heard.  You'll probably be able to do a global search&replace of msql_ for
mysql_ and you're done.

> Here is the set cookie from the new db record visitor script:
>
> $vin is a random 6 character string calculated before the set cookie
>
> SetCookie("cpvin","$vin","time()+1500");

"time()+1500" is pretty much going to end up being 0 by the time it gets to
the cookie -- So you were using session cookies all this time, and they died
as soon as you quit your browser.

You want time()+1500 without the quotes -- It's a calculation, not a string.

Also, the quotes on $vin are gratuitous -- They don't really hurt anything,
but they're pretty pointless.

> I also tried:
> SetCookie("cpvin","$vin","Monday, 31-12-01 23:59:59 GMT"); (this is what
> I was using when it worked, then stopped)

I reckon those might have worked until the New Year, if you got all the
characters right...