> say, I have a function like this

> function foo()
> {
> babababa...;
> /*at this point, I want to output a lot of html, can I use a ':' to escape
> from there?*/

        echo '<html>';
        echo '<title>chris is great</title>';
return; // would just stop the function

OR if you want to call the function from elsewhere like this : echo foo();
or $string=foo();

function foo(){
        $html_construct='<html>';
        $html_construct.='<title>chris is great</title>';
return $html_construct;

}
 /*I know I can do this is a if construct or for... construct,
> but I can't do this at this point*/ /*is there any way for me to do the
> similar thing?*/ }

not sure about your question.  The manual will give escapes for for example
switchs parts (break;) and others. See manual part II.11 Control structures.

> And I have one more question, what is the meaning of 'or'?
> e.g.
> $db=mysql_connect("localhost","root","password") or die ("could not
> connect");

In case the command before 'or; fails do what is after 'or'.

So if you connect succesfully the script continues, if something goes wrong
(wrong password, server down etc etc) the script does

        die ('bla')

this means the script stops and the browsers shows 'bla'.
(except when you'r in the middle of building a page and the text is
invisible due to its location in the HTML, for example when a table is
opened before in Netscape but not closed yet.

Chris