"Uioreanu Calin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What do you think about Zend position?

I thought I would reply to the list on this one, basically to see if I am in
the minority (and if so, I will shut up!)...

Firstly, many people who use PHP do so to make money - I know I do!
Therefore, I don't see anything wrong with the guys at Zend developing
products that make my life easier, make PHP a better product and they can
get paid for doing so.

However, although I have said the above, I do feel that the price points
that have been chosen are very disapointing, especially for the Encoder
Unlimited which is priced at $6000.  The guys at Zend have raised
expectations for their products since they launched their site and I have
been looking forward to the Encoder (as it is now called) for most of that
time.  I can only think that it is the much larger companies that can afford
this kind of price and I now feel that I cannot have a "feature" that I had
been waiting to use for some time.  Cold Fusion has a method of encryting
it's code, and it comes like that out of the box (and at a much cheaper
price).  What the guys at Zend are basically saying is that if you want to
use the better product (ie PHP) and want the encryption functionality found
in products like Cold Fusion, then you are going to have to pay handsomely
for it!  I would definitely have paid $1000 for the Unlimited Encoder, but
no more than that.

What does everyone else think?  Am I being unfair here in my assessment?

I know that there has been an argument on the Zend site that "until 2 days
ago, you were happy using PHP", but I disagree with that because I've been
waiting so long for the Encoder knowing I needed it, and delaying on
releasing a couple of low-cost ($20 each) apps until it was ready

Finally, is there anything else out there either a) in the open source
community or b) commercially available at a more sensible price?  If not,
are there people on this list who could band together to develop something
that competes against it?

Any replies always appreciated :)

Ade