I have searched the archives, php.net and zend.com, and cannot seem to come
up with an answer as to why this isn't woking...

I have the following code snippet stored in a database, and I'm trying to
eval it with this line of code:

$cVar = addslashes( $qrNews[$cContentField . "Text"] );
eval( "<? " . $cVar . " ?>" );

I've tried:
eval( $cVar . " ?>" );
eval( "?> " . $cVar  );

and I cannot get the code snippet to actually evaluate... here's the output
I actually do get:

TCE's Canvas Chat (Java Applet)
if( !( $myFile =
open( \"http://wizaerd.com/cgi-sys/mchat.cgi?channel=wizaerd.com\",
\"r\" ))) { print( \"Cannot be opened\" ); exit; } while( !feof( $myFile ))
{ $myLine = fgets( $myFile, 255 ); print( $myLine . \"
\" ); } fclose( $myFile );
Parse error: parse error in Unknown on line 0

the code in the database is correct cuz I can drop it into a PHP page and it
runs as expected...

Could somebody give me a hand with this?
Thanx

--- code as is in database -------
if( !( $myFile =
open( "http://wizaerd.com/cgi-sys/mchat.cgi?channel=wizaerd.com", "r" ))) {