I had a problem similar to this myself a while ago...
I don't believe the issue is with the differing versions of PHP, but rather
with the improper escaping of the quote characters.

There are two PHP functions:
addslashes() and stripslashes()

Call the former when you submit the information to properly escape the
characters that need it, something like:

$new_data = addslashes($old_data);

should work... then when you go to display the information, call
stripslashes to de-escape everything:

$display_str = stripslashes($new_data);

I hope this helps.

-Matt