On Sunday 04 February 2001 05:03, John Hinsley wrote:

> > Well, my home server is a wimpy P90 with 48MB RAM. It serves as web
> > server (all my technical docs, php website testing, more), web cache
[...]
> > else :) Ah, yes. MySQL for my php stuff also runs on it.
>
> That's pretty impressive!

Well, Linux makes it possible *cough* :)

> > The only problem I have with its performance is that it's only
> > connected to my other machines via 10 MBit ethernet (well, and the
> > ram is a bit on the low side). The processor's limits aren't reached
> > by a long shot.
>
> It'd be interesting to do some benchmarking on it. My guess (nothing
> more) is that the limitations are RAM, disk read/write speed and
> network speed in that order.

disk r/w speed isn't really an issue. If it is, it's because the machine
doesn't have enough RAM to buffer the stuff. Network speed should be at
the top of that list for fileserving, but for PHP stuff 10MBit is
completely sufficient.
Processor performance *is* somehow a point for PHP - on my more complex
pages I have script parsing times of 0.5-0.7 seconds, plus 1-1.5s for DB
queries, output generation etc (yes, I do cache such heavy pages. just
took that as example)

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
change the world...
Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

- Margaret Mead