Rasmus,

Thanks for the clarification; it seems obvious, too, that mixing compressed
and non compressed content would be quite difficult to implement; at least
it would partially compromise the speed/size gain because of added protocol
overhead.

Now, imagining that we have enabled compression by calling
ob_start("ob_gzhandler"), what happens for a document that contains
something along these lines:

<!-- snip -->
<?
// Enable HTTP compression
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");

// PHP content
$content = "This is some content.";
?>

<?
// PHP content continues
$content .= "And the rest of it.";
echo $content;
?>
<!-- snip -->

In this particular case, what would be compressed ? As far as I have
understood, nothing at all, because some part of the output is not "passing
through" PHP, right ?