If your satisfied with IE5.0 customers you could do all that without php,
use an XSL file. Now if you want PHP to parse the XML file, I can see why,
your going to have to get XML installed. Have you considered other
providors? there are lots. Im one of them. Ive been told there are ways of
adding modules dynamically on runtime

http://php.net/manual/en/function.dl.php

Ive never needed it / used it. sorry :(

--