well, CSS support in netscape 4 is abyssmal to begin with,
and it's a 5 year old browser, so i would venture to guess
that's why you cant get anything to look the way it should...

i never thought i'd see the day when MSIE was more
standards compliant and more stable than netscape...
(well, at least until netscape 6 is finalized and non-beta code :)