> At 17:48 21/02/2001 -0500, Jaxon wrote:
> >Is there any way to take an image from the filesystem, say a .jpg or
.png,
> >and display it in a different orientation?  e.g. 20 degrees to the right?
>
> At 17:18 21/02/2001 -0500, Dale Frohman wrote:
> >Does anyone know of a way to resize images as they are being uploaded?
> >Would you write these images to a mysql database or straight to a file on
> >the server?  The pictures will be small < 100k
>

> In both cases, the answer will have to be some kind of server side utility
> that can dynamically feed up translated images. Chris' very nice "image
from
> database" snippet gives a guidline on how this might work - whether or not
what
> you want can be done in PHP, I don't know.

Actually, Brian's suggestion won't really solve your problems nor really
apply.  (No offense intended)  In both cases you want to physically
manipulate the images.  This will require, as Brian mentioned, a utility.
You'll want to look into using either ImageMagik or GD.  I've never used
ImageMagik but I have used GD quite a bit.  To enable the PHP GD functions,
you'll need to compile PHP with GD support.  The more recent versions of GD
support mainly JPEG and PNG image formats.  GIF is not supported because it
is copyrighted.  If you need GIF support, you might be able to find an older
version.  You'll need one that's about a year old.  (I believe that's when
they stop supporting it.)

In regards to the second question, you wouldn't even have to store the image
in a database if you just want to manipulate it.  You can just manipulate in
on the filesystem.

Hope that answers your questions,

Jason