You are COMPLETELY wrong here. isset() is designed to check if a variable is
SET - NOT if it has something in it. empty() is designed for strings NOT for
ints - so if it's set to 0 it will fail. Finally in PHP 4 + you have problems
when you do checks and variables aren't set.

I do this, like I said before, because the extra 1 billionth of a second is
worth the overhead. I've programmed for sites ranging from a few hundered hits
a day to a few million hits a day and this works ALL the time.

--Joe