cookies disabled and using --trans-sid ? the only way PHPSESSID can be set
is if PHPSESSID is set in the url (get) or in a form (post) if neither is
set then your hooped. a new session will be created each time.

<?php
    session_start()

    if (!isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS['count']))
    {
        $count = 1;
        session_register('count');
    } else
        $count++;

    echo $count

    echo "<a href='$PHP_SELF'>same page </a> ";
?>

load this page without cookies and it will allways display 1 untill you
start clicking on the link. this is because PHPSESSID is now set.

in a long way Im trying to say that what your experisnceing is normal

--

 Chris Lee
 Mediawaveonline.com

 ph. 250.377.1095