If you are lucky and are feeding this form data to a database, you can
create a unique hash field from other fields that would not change from
click 1 to click 2.  Then just make the database treat the hash as a unique
index and it should prevent double entries.  Works for me.

Other advice is to not tell the double clicker that had an error; Just
silently ignore their second request.