on a 45mb table with 31,470 rows mysql takes this long.

mysql> SELECT stockno from products;
31470 rows in set (2.34 sec)
mysql>

not exactly great performance, if I put two 'LIKE' statments and an 'ORDER BY' clause
then we're at 8 sec

this is on a PII500 512mb ram linux.mysql 3.23.28 this is not a lightning fast server,
but I am not impressed with mysql speed. if you ever have todo any table joins I would
highly recommend against mysql

people has 161 rows.
products has 31,470 rows

select count(stockno), count(customernum) from products, people;
1 row in set (12.34 sec)
mysql>

try adding a third table, oi. or a fouth, I timedout at nearly 2 hours with four
tables. postgres (7.1beta) could do the same four tables in less then 0.9sec.

I use mysql because I use mysql. I would like to use postgres but everyone seems to
use mysql and clients know the name. they request it. I hear problems about
un-stability of 7.0 on phpbuilder.com, are they warented? I am interested in hearing
strong customer testomonials for postgres or against it. I have little info other then
a few benchamrks I ran myself.

--

 Chris Lee
 Mediawaveonline.com

 ph. 250.377.1095
 ph. 250.376.2690
 fx. 250.554.1120

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Markus H. Maussner"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
hi..

i am looking for a database wich runs with php and supports big tables ...

i am thinking about areas in the range of 1,5-2TB.

can mysql handle that ?
i know ms-sql is good for databases at arround 1TB.

markus