James Holden wrote:

Welcome to a mine field of problems :-)

1. The url you have entered is invalid. Thats a good first check to make usually. Try /search?q=test to get that bit sorted.

Ok, this was just a typo. :)

2. Google prevents known useragents from accessing it's content as it believes you are acting as a spider or a search engine stealing thier content. To counter this you need to use a new url capturing method and specifically set the name of the useragent. Use 'MSIE'. You can use curl, lwp etc to do this kind of thing.
Curl is excellent, fast, highly configurable and execellent with secure connections.

I heard about curl, but not about lwp. I can't find documentation for lwp on php.net. I must check out if I can use one of these.

3. I suggest you don't do this - they prevent it for a reason.

It's part of a larger project and not especially related to google. The script should be able to read in any website and do some processing. One of its functions should (later) be to determine search engine positions. Is there a simple way to do this without reading in the search results of google (or other search engines)?

Jens