> I have a hockey database with players names in it and I want to be
able to
> update their stats one after the other. To be more clear - when the
page
> is
> first entered I want the first players name to automatically appear
> showing
> his current stats (this will be in a form). Then you can update the
record
> and write it back to the database, then the next player will show up
with
> his stats showing, and the process continues until all the players
have
> been
> done. Setting up the database and forms is no problem, but I'm not
sure
> how
> I would keep count of what player has been done so the next one
> automatically appears (and if there should be a power failure
orWindows
> crashes, or whatever else - I want the process to start at the last
player
> being updated - I don't want to have to start again from player one).
I'm
> not sure if this is more a PHP or MySQL question - or both - so I have
> sent
> it to both lists.

Each player has a unique number, right? Probably an auto_increment
column? Use that to your advantage.

SELECT * FROM your_table WHERE id > {$_COOKIE['id']} ORDER BY id ASC
LIMIT 1

When you load the first player, $_COOKIE['id'] isn't set, so you'll get
the player with the lowest ID number. Now you submit the form, process
the data, and save the ID of the player you just edited into a cookie
named 'id'. Now when you run the above query, you'll get the next
highest ID number based on the last ID number you saved in a cookie.

Keep track of the ID number in a cookie so that you'll always get the
next ID whenever you come to the site. Have a method where you can
"reset" the ID if you need to, also. Once the above query returns no
rows then there is no one left to edit and you'll want to reset it also.

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/