I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who has worked with or
developed their own content management system.

This is my scenario, when i have finished creating a site, i want to be able
to add in the CMS with a minimum amount of fuss. I want to be able to get
the CMS to recognize all the tables and somehow allow me to set the tables
and fields that the client can update safely (i.e. if it is an employment
recruitment site then they will be able to add jobs but not job_id). This
will save me so much time rather than having to handcode the CMS for every
site.

I think i have an answer to my problem, and would be interested to hear your
opinion. When i install the CMS it will read the existing tables and create
2 new tables:

CMS_TABLES
cms_table_id(PK)
cms_table_name
cms_table_is_editable

CMS_FIELDS
cms_field_id(PK)
cms_table_id(FK)
cms_field_name
cms_field_is_editable
cms_field_type
cms_field_size
cms_field_is_primary_key

As an administrator I will be able to set fields and tables which are
editable. Now when i go to the database management page i can do 'SELECT *
FROM CMS_FIELDS WHERE cms_table_id = '$_GET[table_id]' AND
cms_field_editable = TRUE

Also does anyone have any suggestions for editing static content?

Any comments here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks