Change your link to something like:

view.php will NOT be a "HTML page" -- it will be responsible for:

a)  some conditional stuff, like checking for a logged in user
b)  output an appropriate header for the file type
c)  pass through the actual file contents

You would actually want to store the target files outside the doc root, or
forbid apache to serve them directly over http.

There's a decent article here:
http://www.zend.com/zend/trick/tricks-august-2001.php

Justin French