You only have two options really... either they manually change each product
themselves via a web based form, or the process is managed by a CSV file.
The first thing you need to ensure is that every product in the catalogue
has a unique key (identifier / product number / barcode number / whatever).

This value needs to be present in the database, and in the case of a CSV
file, needs to match the CSV.

You take the following CSV:

'10034','Socks - Red','2.99'
'10485','Socks - Blue','3.24'

And parse it into your database, where you'd have columns like:

id,description,price

They can change the description all they want... they can also change the
price, but they need to leave the id alone.  If they change the ID, it's
like a new product.

If their supplier can't supply an Excel or CSV file, or doesn't have unique
codes for each product, then your client has no choice but to manually
update the data themselves via web forms, or maintain THEIR OWN Excel file
which you can parse weekly/daily/whatever.

I'd avoid doing anything manually.  Try to get an agreed format CSV from the
supplier monthly, and parse it.

Justin