On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:30:25 -0500, Mike Mannakee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have some sets of values that I have stored in several tables in a mySQL
database. These don't often change, but are referenced on every single page
view. While each call is quick, as a gross the load on the server is too
high. I would like to know if there is a way to have these sets of values
remain persistent in the server's memory between calls from browsers, like
environment variables, to reduce the back and forth calls to mySQL. As the
data from the calls are almost always the same, it would seem easier this
way.

Any thoughts? Comments? RTFM suggestions?

Mike

Happen to be on a unix system? What you could do is have a particular script that will do your mysql call and output the variables in a another file. Then, have a cron job run that script however often you need to have those variables updated.

Another way you could do it is initialize the variables you need as session variables if the user logs in (assuming you're using an authentication system), which will stay active as long as the user has a valid session.