Space at the beginning or end of a string can be removed with trim().

In order for someone to write you a regexp, you need to change your question
to the following:

"
I need to ensure a string only has the following characters in it:
A-Z
a-z
0-9
Can someone please help me write a regexp which strip out all other
characters from a string?
"

It's always better to specify what you will ALLOW rather than trying to
think of everything little character you want to REFUSE.

Unfortunately, I'm no good with regexp's, so you'll have to hope someone who
IS reads your post :)

Justin French