The method I use is to take their user_id or email and create an HMAC
(hashed message authentication code) by hashing it with a secret key on
my end.  This way the activation link looks like the following:

http://mysite.com/activation.php?user_id=petej&ID=ghjghjg367ghjlkj9hjlkj

THe activation script takes the user_id they passed in and hashes it
with the secret key again. The result should match the ID they passed.
Easy and pretty secure.

HTH.
Pete.