Thanks for your suggestions. I had been thinking that it
must be the URL that was causing the caching (same URL,
same thing, right? Sounds good...), so I was planning
on trying something along the lines of what you suggest.
But I was thinking, why a random number? Why not just
append the current time value? (time()) ... it won't be
the same for any single user more than once, so that
should force the re-fetch of the graphic, just like the
random would. Shouldn't this work too? (Said he without
having time to test either approach!)

- Mark