Hello,

I have a ~5500 line monolithic Perl script that I distribute with my
commercial application for processing forms on any Web server that supports
CGI and Perl. Perl has been a wonderful platform because of its portability.
However, people are now suggesting that my program also support PHP, so I
began reading about PHP at http://www.php.net.

I have also searched the archives in this list for tips and suggestions when
porting Perl to PHP, but haven't found much so far. Can someone point me to
references that may be useful for porting Perl to PHP? I'd like to hear
about the experiences of others who have done this.

Also, from my reading, it sounds like some of the features I might need in
PHP are considered extensions. For example, my Perl script makes heavy use
of searching and replacing using regular expressions. I've read on the PHP
web site that Perl-like regular expression support is now part of the
typical installation of PHP (maybe I got this wrong). My concern is, well,
that means there are probably many installations of PHP out there that don't
have this support, so I would need to tell people that if they were to use
my PHP script, they'll need to install a few things like support for regular
expressions. In my case, the less installation required, the better.

I am not using any Perl modules, so this shouldn't be a concern, although
I've been considering using the Perl DBI module for generic database
support. I have not yet found a DBI equivalent for PHP.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richard