Your hardware will determine your level of performance and in many cases
stability (cheap components like generic ram lower stability and
performance) but I've had no problems running PHP under FreeBSD 4 or
FreeBSD 5 or Slackware Linux and mostly minor problems running under
HP-UX 10/11.

Everyone has at least one OS of choice (mine is FreeBSD and then
OpenBSD) so you will have to weigh opinions, I would decide what you
need your server to do and then take a look at a few operating systems.

FreeBSD is an excellent all purpose server, OpenBSD is excellent in high
threat environments, Linux is good if that is all your IT supports or
you are doing very Linux specific things.

All the PHP optimizer/caching programs I've used have support for
FreeBSD and Linux so that will not be a limiting factor.

Basically get good hardware and your performance with PHP should be good
under most operating systems, get bad hardware and it doesn't matter
anyway.

Jason

--
Jason Sheets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>