You have register_globals set to off (read up on "register globals" in
php.net).
your code should read
$HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] or $_POST['action'] (depending on PHP version)
INSTEAD of just $action.

so to test an if::
if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action']==1) {
/*
Code for if action is equal to 1
*/
}

Of course checkingif the variable is set or empty might be a good idea as
well, is set example:
if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'])) {
/*
Code if the variable POSTed is set