Actually, I think you may have misunderstood.  On Mozilla (Mac), Netscape (Mac) and
Safari the script works exactly as I have intended: sending the "Content-Type:
application/octet-stream" header causes the file to download; sending the
IE (Mac OS X), some files with the .mov extension download when the "Content-Type:
application/octet-stream" header is sent, while others play in-browser, while all play
in-browser, as they should.

>From what I understand, "Content-Type: application/octet-stream" header should ALWAYS
>cause a download.  This is not an issue of post-processing (the settings in the
>browser which tell it to open a file in a certain application AFTER the file has been
>downloaded - that is not a problem).  BTW, even if I change my preferences in IE to
>save .mov files to disk, they still play in-browser.

After re-compiling PHP with mime-magic enabled, the mime_content_type() function is
returning "video/quicktime" for the file which does not download and "text/plain" for
the one which does (even though the "text/plain" file plays fine both in-browser and
once it is downloaded).  In any case, that will be my next area of investigation.

At 12:03 PM -0800 on 3/25/03, Jennifer Goodie wrote:

>This is not a MAC IE problem, it is the way browsers work.  If the MIME type
>is mapped to an application, the browser will launch the application.  IE
>does it inline, while Netscape tends to launch it separately.
>
>You can send false headers with a made up type and a missing file extension,
>but then the browser will not know what type of file it is and the save as
>is harder for the user as they have to put the right extension on.  It is a
>work around, but a really poor one.
>
>header("Content-disposition: filename=$filenamewithoutextension");
>header("Content-type:reallyreallyreallybigcsv");

Daniel Leighton
Chief Technology Officer
Webolution
http://www.webolution.com

     This email may contain material that is confidential and privileged for the
sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance or distribution
by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete
all copies.